    --
    Dave K

    It is always of the form: [email protected] Hitting reply will work

    Dave (from the UK), Jan 17, 2006

  2. For what it is worth, I have just bought an Ultra 60 is the UK for £60
    or about $106.

    Same spec as the one you are offering, except mine has no CD, but does
    have a floppy. I admit a CD is more useful, but perhaps not nearly $200
    more useful!

    Prices seems to have equalised a bit now between the UK and US. At one
    time there were *big* savings to be made by importing from the US, but
    that seems to have ceased - at least on the sort of machines I might buy.

    Dave (from the UK), Jan 17, 2006

  3. Dave (from the UK)

    Rich Teer Guest

    I was fortunate enough to get a noise reduction kit for my Ultra 60
    on Ebay. It did make a noticable improvement, but my Sun Blade 1000
    is much quieter (as is my Ultra 20).

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Dave (from the UK)

    healyzh Guest

    The IDE Disk performance on the Ultra 5/10 is pathetic. They can take less
    RAM, and only one CPU. Plus, it is easier to get RAM for an U60, than for
    a U5/10.

    To bad cheap is a requirement. I'd really recommend a Sunblade 1000.

    Zane

    healyzh, Jan 19, 2006

  5. Cheers. I did actually buy a U 60 in the end - 1 GB of RAM, 18 GB disk,
    floppy, one 450 MHz CPU. I paid £60 (UK pounds) which is about $107.
    Being unemployed rather makes that a requirement!!
    I was actually quite surprised how little they are going for.

    Dave (from the UK), Jan 20, 2006
  6. Sorry to hear that. I'm in the same situation at the moment, apart from
    doing a bit of trade in random technical surplus, hence the need to
    economise when repairing or replacing my Ultra 2. I had an e-mail from
    a guy about an Ultra 2 today. Looks in nice condition. I'm hoping I
    might be able to negotiate a deal of £50 + VAT for the machine with 2
    x 400 MHz, 2 x 9 GB and 512 MB RAM. I'm tending towards another Ultra 2
    as I think it'll be the most economical and trouble free replacement.
    An Ultra 60 would be nice but I don't really need the extra power or
    PCI, but I do need two SCSI controllers as I have now. I'll probably
    make a decision tomorrow or Saturday. Will let you know what I choose.

    Best wishes,

    Chris

    christopher.tidy, Jan 20, 2006
  7. I think my problem is I have a PhD - I think I'll remove that from my CV.
    Not a bad deal it must be said, but I can't help but feel you could get
    a better deal on a U60 for not much more.
    The Ultra 60 has two built in. The one doing the disks/tape/cd etc
    inside the case is on a different bus to the connector on the back of
    the machine.

    If you wanted even more, I had a spare dual Sun SCSI controller and a
    single channel IBM SCSI controller here. The IBM uses the same chipset
    as on of the Sun cards. In fact, I have an almost identical IBM card,
    except it is HVD that I use for controlling the StoreEDGE L9 tape backup
    system.
    I'd personally go for a U60. A second processor if you want it will not
    cost you much.

    Of course there are a lot of things to consider. Noise being one of
    them. As Casper pointed out the other day, a U60 is noiser than a U5 or
    U 10. I have no idea where the Ultra 2 fits in along the noise scale.

    Dave (from the UK), Jan 20, 2006
  8. Dave (from the UK)

    Pete Young Guest

    I fitted a kit to my Ultra 30 and it makes no discernable difference
    whatsoever to the racket! The U30 now lives in the garage where it
    is nice and cool, and I have a SunRay on my desk which is totally
    silent. Bliss. (Apart from the roaring noise of 'er indoors 2
    PCs, really must get around to doing something about that.

    Pete Young, Jan 20, 2006
  9. Dave (from the UK)

    Sunny Guest

    Quieter than any of the above.

    Sunny

    Sunny, Jan 20, 2006
  10. Unfortunately the deal has fallen through. He advertised the U2 on eBay
    with a single processor and a starting bid of £50. No one bid, and the
    listing said he had plenty of Sun spares in stock, so I e-mailed and
    made an offer of £50 + £20 carriage + VAT for the machine if he added
    a second processor. I thought he might get back to me with a price of
    £60-65, which I'd probably have taken, but he wants £100. He didn't
    seem especially keen to sell. Unix4Less have U60's for sale at £110 +
    £12.50 carriage + VAT, which is pretty much the same price. These are
    dual 450 MHz, 512 MB RAM and 2 x 9 GB. The 512 MB of RAM doesn't bother
    me as I can take the 1280 MB from my U2, plus I probably don't need
    more than 512 MB. I am tempted by these machines, although they are
    right at the top of my price range.
    I just remembered that I have a Symbios SYM8751SP SCSI card which I
    salvaged from a scrap PC a couple of years ago. Doing a Google search
    leads me to believe that this is the same as Sun part number X5010A,
    although I'm unsure how easy it would be to get it working.
    In my experience the U2 is a pretty noisy beast. It has four fans. The
    U60 I tried out last year seemed comparable. The U5s and U10s I used in
    the States a few years back seemed quieter, although they were in much
    larger rooms. Noise doesn't bother me too much.

    Best wishes,

    Chris

    christopher.tidy, Jan 20, 2006
  11. Did you try the place I told you I bought my U 60 from?

    I believe they have 2 more and I paid £60 + carriage and VAT with one
    CPU 450 MHz CPU, 18 GB disk, 1 GB RAM and floppy.
    That seems a pretty good spe for £110. And you have two spud brackets,
    which are worth £10 each anyway. The brackets are probably worth more
    than the disks.
    But check the RAM sizes. That 512 MB could be achieved by filling all
    the RAM slots, so adding your RAM might not be as easy as you think. You
    might have to remove some first.

    But for that money, I don't think you could complain.

    Are you sure the RAM part numbers are the same? I have not checked, but
    many people seem to think things will be OK since they work sometimes.
    I would give the place I suggested a call. You might do better.

    The only thing I would add is that if at a later date you want to add
    CPUs or need another spud bracket, the postage can become expensive
    compared to the price of buying a machine with all the bits inside.

    If the card you have is the same chipset, it will probably work with no
    drivers. But if it does not, you have two anyway - how many SCSI
    controllers to you need?

    Dave (from the UK), Jan 20, 2006
  12. I just e-mailed him this evening and am waiting for a reply. If I'm
    buying an Ultra 60 I think I'm better getting a dual processor machine
    (this will be my main machine - my only machine unless I fix the Ultra
    2). I've bought low-spec or defective goods in the past and have
    sometimes found the upgrade actually costs more than buying a good item
    in the first place.
    Both have 16 RAM slots. I have 1280 MB in the Ultra 2, so the least I
    can end up with in the Ultra 60 is 1280 MB, is that right?
    I'll check.
    Probably two external. I have four external devices and was finding
    that the chain was getting too long on a single controller.

    Best wishes,

    Chris

    christopher.tidy, Jan 20, 2006
  13. Dave: one more thing. Has your U60 arrived yet? If so, is it in decent
    condition? Let me know how you find it.

    Best wishes,

    Chris

    christopher.tidy, Jan 20, 2006
  14. Dave (from the UK)

    Jim Carver Guest

    Chris

    Ultra 2 and 60 use the same memory and processors for that matter. The
    big jump for most folks is abandoning SBUS for PCI. If you don't have
    a huge investment in SBUS now is the time to make the move. As a side
    benefit both the drive bays in the 60 are full height. Lots of big cheap
    drives available, as opposed to costlier low profiles needed in the 2.
    Also both use the same spub brackets. I bought a bare 60 and moved
    everything over from a 2 with no problems.

    Jim

    Jim Carver, Jan 21, 2006
  15. If they are the same processors, they run at different speeds. The
    processors in the Ultra 60 run at 300, 360 or 450 MHz, whereas I can't
    find any mention of an Ultra 2 running in excess of 400 MHz.

    The benchmark results submitted by Sun on the www.spec.org web site show
    the Ultra 2

    http://www.spec.org/permuted.html#U

    show no submissions over 400 MHz. Also, the secondary cache on the 400
    MHz Ultra 2 is only 2 MB, compared to 4 MB on the Ultra 60's 450 MHz
    CPU. Needless to say, these facts result in higher figures on the
    benchmarks for the Ultra 60.

    Dave (from the UK), Jan 21, 2006
  16. Dave (from the UK)

    Jim Carver Guest

    Agreed, what I was pointing out to Chris was that he can buy a bare 60
    and save some money. Don't believe Sun's party line. They only tell you
    what they consider a "supported" configuration. My 60 is running a pair
    of 200's (has run 167's)and a friends 2 (2 gen board) is running 450's.
    You run what you have access to and can afford. It's like the earlier
    thread on the IPX. Sun never told us we could run 80megs(32 meg SBUS
    daughter card on an IPX or 128 megs (2 32meg cards) on a Sparcstation 2,
    using second party sbus cards, because they did not make them and
    support them. Likewise that the LX would support 32 meg parity sticks in
    the 1st bank, for a total of 128 on the board. Sun only suppied 8's and
    16's so the official line was 96 megs max. Remember Sun is in it for the
    money, not helping you get the maximum out of older equipment. You may
    or may not remember IBM's infamous XT memory upgrade. Everyone thought
    at first they were getting a new motherboard and higher density ram.
    When in fact the tech were just resoldering a surface mount shunt from
    one set of pads to another and putting new chips in your "old" board. I
    don't claim to be a Sun guru by any means. Heck till Solaris 2.6 came
    out, I could hardly install an operating system. What I do enjoy and
    find facinating is the hardware. Being able to bring up a system and
    have it run for weeks, months and years and swap component in and out
    while the machine was running,WOW, what a concept for a PC guy.(On a
    side note, you can remove boards from a running PC, it's installing them
    that seems to be the trick =0 )Remember, Sun never told you that the
    Symbios boards would work in your Sun. Someone noticed that it had the
    same chipset and said "I wonder....". Have some fun!

    You might enjoy some of the forums and resources at:

    http://www.sunhelp.org/
    http://www.sunshack.org/#aussie_sun
    http://www.net-kitchen.com/~sah/

    Jim Carver, Jan 22, 2006
  17. Dave (from the UK)

    Sunny Guest

    I have a couple of Ultra 2s and would like to upgrade the processors.
    Any chance you could dig up the part number for those 450s that work in
    the U2? I'm not afraid of unsupported configurations :)

    Sunny

    Sunny, Jan 22, 2006