Ultra 80, E420R and Netra T 1405 - same thing or different?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by jorthstorm, May 2, 2007.

  1. jorthstorm

    jorthstorm Guest

    Okay, I'm comparing the Ultra 80, Netra T 1405 and E420R.

    Sun has the exact same part number for the motherboard in all three
    machines.

    My Netra T 1405 is identified as an Ultra 80 when Solaris boots.
    I've watched an E420R boot and it identifies as an Ultra 80 under
    Soalris. How does the software identify the hardware? Either it's
    not doing a good job, or there is no difference in the hardware.
    ( I've never seen a real Ultra 80 boot. Does a real Ultra 80 ID as a
    E420R or a Netra??)

    At boot my Netra T 1405 shows 4 x 440 MHz processors.
    I've seen a E420R and Ultra 80 boot and they both show 4 x 450MHz
    processors.

    The Netra T 1405 is 10 MHz slower than an Ultra 80 or E420R.
    Where does the 10 MHz go? Why? Is it different processors?

    Can I change processors and get more speed? Is there something faster
    than 450 MHz that will go into this mobo?

    Am I missing information about jumpers or switches on the motherboard?

    signed,
    Confused in Northern VA.

    jorthstorm, May 2, 2007

  2. jorthstorm

    Tim Bradshaw Guest

    I think they were all the same system board in different clothes - the
    U80 was a workstation, the t1405 presumably is in a telco-friendly
    chassis and the 420r was a plain old rackable machine.

    Tim Bradshaw, May 2, 2007

  3. jorthstorm

    Trinean Guest

    Fix the following OBP settings: