    Other than that, unless someone has a new chart like this, it looks like the 9800 pro is the best card for the money. Ive
    never had an ATI card, always 3dfx and nVidia. What do ya think?

    I need to upgrade my Ti 4400 pretty soon, so any info is appreciated.

    3in4, Apr 15, 2004

  2. 3in4

    duralisis Guest

    In the FX lineup, the "Ultra" and "XT" cards are chips that had better
    yields or were from a newer revision (meaning they clocked higher more
    easily and could be sold as a better model). They usually have the
    faster bus (256-bit) and better RAM (256MB), but I've also seen 128
    cards with just higher clocks.

    Clockspeeds alone usually make them better, but increased bandwidth
    overall usually helps a lot.

    duralisis, Apr 16, 2004

  3. 3in4

    John Lewis Guest

    Correction:-

    In the nVidia range....

    Ultra is normally the top-end card of a group. Normally 256 Meg
    memory.

    No suffix is the mid-range. Usually 128 Meg memory

    XT, SE is the el-cheepo ( sloppier specs) version of the no-suffix
    card. Beware, some of the less ethical vendors have now got into the
    habit of dropping the XT, SE suffix, especially if they no longer
    produce the non-suffix version.

    There is no replacement for reading and understanding critical specs.
    Critical specs like GPU and Memory clock rates missing.... no buy.

    John Lewis, Apr 16, 2004
  4. 3in4

    teqguy Guest

    The GPU is just a revision...

    Instead of releasing an entirely new model number, each company
    releases revision cards... but in order to sell more they have to
    denote a difference... or else they'd lose money.

    Some of the changes I've seen in the past are:

    o Reduced temps

    o Higher default clock speeds

    o Repackaged with better/more software

    o Repackaged with updated drivers