    So, it's a really fast switch on a motherboard. Interesting, but not quit
    leading edge anymore.

    Frank

    Godzilla, Jul 6, 2003

  2. The U1 isn't a new machine. How many other workstations or desktop PCs
    are using cross bar switches to connect memory, cpu, graphics, etc?

    Goran Larsson, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Paul Foerster

    Godzilla Guest

    A lot of machine uses switch based architecture. SGI Octane1/2 and SGI
    320/250, unfortunately, 320 benchmarked slower than all similarly configured
    PII/PIII with the then current BX chipset from Intel, failing to acheive
    what SGI hoped to be a "break through" in throughput. Nowadays the nVidia
    nForce chipsets for AMD Athlon are also crossbar based. And I believe the
    higher end server chipsets from Intel are also switch based.

    Frank

    Godzilla, Jul 6, 2003