UltraSPARC: mixing wide and narrow scsi devices externally

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Axel Dahmen, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. Axel Dahmen

    Axel Dahmen Guest

    Hi Community,

    after "Googling around" for several days and trying a few things
    without success I now ask for help.

    I have probs with the SCSI Interface while combining 68-pole with
    50-pole SCSI targets although it should work at least somehow.
    OK, I know that having those mixed devices the speed of the scsi bus
    goes down to the speed of the slowest component but about that I don't
    care. Speed is only a minor problem to me as this machine is a "night
    worker" ...

    Here's the setup:
    Sun Ultra 1 UPA/SBus (UltraSPARC 200MHz), No Keyboard
    OpenBoot 3.11, 512 MB memory installed, Serial #3873118.
    SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic 32-bit
    (used as a server without graphical interface)
    with fast/wide scsi host adaptor onboard and 1 internal HD:
    4 GB 68 pin disk (IBM-DCAS-34330W) sd0 at fas0: target 0 lun 0
    External 4 Slot Housing, connected to a SBus SCSI Card via a UltraWide
    shielded 68-pole cable:
    1. 4 GB 68 pin disk (IBM-DCAS-34330W) sd16 at isp0: target 1 lun 0
    2. 36 GB 68 pin disk (IBM-DPSS-336950N) sd17 at isp0: target 2 lun 0
    3. CD ROM SCSI II 50-pin sd20 at isp0: target 5 lun 0
    attached via 68-pin to 50-pin adaptor (upper bits terminated)
    4. HP DDS3 DAT SCSI II 50-pin st13 at isp0: target 6 lun 0
    attached via 68-pin to 50-pin adaptor (upper bits terminated)
    5. Ended by an external active Terminator (68 pin)

    When I don't use the DAT or CD-ROM drives everything works fine.
    I use the machine as a Bachup Server for nightly rsyncs to the
    external 36 GB disk, where as the other 4 GB external Disk is a Backup
    disk for the boot HD.

    When I try to do a mt command it takes extremly long until the prompt
    comes back
    mt -f /dev/rmt/0m status
    HP DDS-3 4mm DAT tape drive:
    sense key(0x6)= Unit Attention residual= 0 retries= 0
    file no= 0 block no= 0

    and the following entries can be found in the messages log:
    Jul 2 21:41:11 sparc scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING:
    /[email protected],0/QLGC,[email protected],10000 (isp0):
    Jul 2 21:41:11 sparc Target 6 reducing transfer rate
    Jul 2 21:41:13 sparc scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING:
    /[email protected],0/QLGC,[email protected],10000 (isp0):
    Jul 2 21:41:13 sparc Target 6 disabled wide SCSI mode
    Jul 2 21:47:57 sparc scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING:
    /[email protected],0/QLGC,[email protected],10000 (isp0):
    Jul 2 21:47:57 sparc Target 6 reducing transfer rate
    Jul 2 21:47:59 sparc scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING:
    /[email protected],0/QLGC,[email protected],10000 (isp0):
    Jul 2 21:47:59 sparc Target 6 disabled wide SCSI mode

    Also while booting the machine I see this warning when I access the
    sparc via a serial cable:
    WARNING: /[email protected],0/QLGC,[email protected],10000 (isp0):
    Target 6 reducing transfer rate
    WARNING: /[email protected],0/QLGC,[email protected],10000 (isp0):
    Target 6 disabled wide SCSI mode

    Up to now I tried step by step to alter the scsi option in
    /etc/system, touched /reconfigure and rebooted the machine.
    But nothing changes.

    I tried:
    scsi_options=0x58
    scsi_options=0x78
    scsi_options=0x178

    Set the Jumper on the back of the DAT for Term Power on and off
    Adjusted the 8 DIP Switches on the bottom side of the DAT to
    PC Config settings all on but 3
    Sun specific settings all on but 6 and 7.

    In /usr/include/sys/scsi/conf/autoconf.h I couldn't find something
    helpful.
    I made sure that the narrow devices are at the end of the SCSI chain.
    The devices are attached to the cable coresponding to their SCSI IDs
    1, 2, 5 and 6, while 5 and 6 are the 50-pin devices.
    The adaptors 68 to 50 pin are terminated (upper bits terminated) and
    so is the end of the SCSI Bus.

    If anyone has any suggestion, I'd really appreciate it.

    Thanks in advance,
    Axel

    Axel Dahmen, Jul 4, 2003

  2. In addition to Thomas's comment I would suggest you look at
    installing this disk internally. The U1 has 2 hard disk slots.
    You may as well use them both.
    Why not install this CD-ROM internally as well?
    Is it really a DDS3? I would have expected it to have a 68 pin
    rather than 50 pin interface.

    -am © 2003

    Anthony Mandic, Jul 5, 2003

  3. Axel Dahmen

    Axel Dahmen Guest

    Hi Thomas and Anthony,

    trying Thomas advice to disable the termination of the 68 to 50 Pin
    connectors actually didn't made a difference although it is clearly
    false to have 3 terminations on the bus.
    The warning messages remained the same ...
    After opening the external box to correct the termination I recognized
    that the external cable eventually could have been faulty (1 of the 68
    pins was fairly low and didn't reach out as far as the others).
    I took another cable, but that didn't change anything.
    While changing the external cable I saw, that the cable wasn't
    connected to the mainboards external SCSI port but to a sbus card
    port.
    I changed it to the mainboard scsi port and from then on everything
    went fine.
    I can reach every device in the external box wether it is wide or
    narrow scsi!

    So my last question now is:
    What type of scsi Interface is integrated on the mainboard and which
    sbus card is installed, that is, does any one of you know how I could
    identify the scsi interface and eventually find out it's speed (if
    possible by software, so I don't have to open the cover again)?

    Anthony, I couldn't mount the drives or some of the drives in the
    housing, because I always use special carriers (ICY Dock MB988) with
    backed up HDs mounted in so that if I have a problem (disk crash or
    similar) I just power off the machine, replace the HD with a spare,
    power it on and have it running again within a minute.
    To have the ICY Dock mounted in the sparc housing the only place to go
    was the CD-ROM bay, so everything else had to go into a separate box.

    Yes, it is a 50-pin DDS3 Streamer: HP C1537. I have never seen a HP
    DDS3 Streamer with a 68-pin Interface. As far as I know there are only
    the HP DDS4 types which are coming with 68-pins.

    Thank you very much for your suggestions and help.

    Axel

    Axel Dahmen, Jul 5, 2003
  4. Check the SCSI logo besides the connector. If it has an extra angle
    besides the square, then it is a differential controller, and likely
    HVD (High Voltage Differential), which won't work with single ended
    devices.

    Run /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag and you will see what's in the
    box. Here's what's contained in my U2:

    spiff:~ (202)> /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag
    System Configuration: Sun Microsystems sun4u Sun Ultra 2 UPA/SBus (2 X UltraSPARC-II 400MHz)
    System clock frequency: 100 MHz
    Memory size: 512 Megabytes

    ========================= CPUs =========================

    Run Ecache CPU CPU
    Brd CPU Module MHz MB Impl. Mask
    --- --- ------- ----- ------ ------ ----
    0 0 0 400 2.0 US-II 9.0
    0 1 1 400 2.0 US-II 9.0

    ========================= IO Cards =========================

    Bus Freq
    Brd Type MHz Slot Name Model
    --- ---- ---- ---------- ---------------------------- --------------------
    0 SBus 25 0 SUNW,DBRIe
    0 SBus 25 1 SUNW,pcmcia
    0 SBus 25 2 MAGMA_Sp
    0 SBus 25 3 dma/esp (scsi) 500-1869-01
    0 SBus 25 3 lebuffer/le (network) 500-1869-01
    0 SBus 25 14 SUNW,fas/sd (block)
    0 SBus 25 14 SUNW,hme
    0 SBus 25 14 SUNW,bpp
    0 UPA 100 30 FFB, Double Buffered SUNW,501-3129

    No failures found in System
    ===========================

    Cheers,
    Thomas

    Thomas Tornblom, Jul 5, 2003
  5. Open front 611 Unipack boxes are 50-pin narrow SCSI internally.
    They are used with CD drives, and DDS or QIC tape drives.
    They have 68-pin wide SCSI connectors externally, and
    automatic termination for both the upper and lower half of
    the SCSI bus if used as directed. (instructions inside the
    top cover).

    Closed front 611 Unipack boxes are fitted for 80-pin SCA disk drives.

    carl

    Carl Lowenstein, Jul 6, 2003
  6. Axel Dahmen

    Axel Dahmen Guest

    Thanks for the advice.
    After running prtdiag I got the following output:

    /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag
    System Configuration: Sun Microsystems sun4u Sun Ultra 1 UPA/SBus
    (UltraSPARC 200MHz)
    System clock frequency: 100 MHz
    Memory size: 512 Megabytes

    ========================= CPUs =========================

    Run Ecache CPU CPU
    Brd CPU Module MHz MB Impl. Mask
    --- --- ------- ----- ------ ------ ----
    0 0 0 200 0.5 US-I 4.0

    ========================= IO Cards =========================

    Bus Freq
    Brd Type MHz Slot Name Model
    --- ---- ---- ---- --------------------------------
    ----------------------
    0 SBus 25 0 QLGC,isp/sd (block) QLGC,ISP1000U
    0 SBus 25 14 SUNW,fas/sd (block)
    0 SBus 25 14 SUNW,hme
    0 SBus 25 14 SUNW,bpp

    No failures found in System

    I guess the SUNW,fas/sd is the external Sbus SCSI Card, but what else
    does it tell me?

    Axel

    Axel Dahmen, Jul 6, 2003