unable to install new NVidia Unified chipset driver on Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.x)

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by nooneinparticular314159, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Hello. I've tried to install new NVidia Unified chipset drivers
    downloaded from the NVidia website. The installer starts, creates a
    folder, dumps the driver install files in it, pops up a window with a
    picture of a computer and a progress bar. This stays up for about 1
    second. When the progress bar reaches 100%, the window disappears, and
    the installer quits with no feedback.

    I also tried the drivers on teh Gigabyte website. Same problem.

    Attempting to uninstall teh current drivers from add or remove programs
    causes another open window to flash briefly on top of the add or remove
    programs window, then to return to where it was. No drivers are
    installed or uninstalled.

    Configuration:
    XP Pro SP2, latest security patches
    Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.x)
    Soundblaster Live! XGamer
    GForce2 Pro graphics card
    Netgear FA311 ethernet
    Athlon XP

    Yes, I am running this as administrator. No, antivirus software is not
    blocking the installation.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Michael

    nooneinparticular314159, Apr 13, 2005

  2. nooneinparticular314159

    henny Guest

    Installing drivers from the chip set manufactures is not a good idea.

    The down load drivers on the Gigabyte site will *not* install if they are
    the same as the local drivers.

    Add and remove programs is *not* the way to delete chip set drivers.

    GH

    henny, Apr 13, 2005

  3. nooneinparticular314159

    Ian Guest

    I don't quite understand that. Reference drivers from Nvidia are fine.
    Whether using Nvidia or Via chipsets or whatever I would never suggest
    anyone to choose Microsoft Windows included drivers over the chipset maker's
    drivers. Nvidia drivers use an installer (you run setup.exe!) and,
    therefore, have an uninstaller which can be run from add/remove programs.
    That is the way they are designed to be added or removed. However, it may
    also be possile to manually pick up drivers using device manager, from an
    expanded folder of the Nvidia setup files. I would ask the OP what drivers
    he was running previously? If they were a previous version of the Nvidia
    unified driver it would probably have been important to uninstall them
    first. Try system restore back to that point and start again.

    Ian, Apr 16, 2005