Unable to install Win98

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Kevin, Oct 10, 2005.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Hey all!

    Hopefully someone will be able to help me out on this one. I've
    installed win98 many times in the past and never confronted this issue,
    so I can only assum it's attributed to the computer itself. I just
    finished building a new Athlon 64 3000+ computer with 1GB dual channel
    (2 x 512mb sticks) ram, running on an Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra motherboard.
    The rest of the computer is as follows:

    PCIe x16 Sapphire Radeon X800XL video card
    250GB SATA2 WD hard drive
    Plextor DVD burner

    It's a fairly simple configuration, and I let the motherboard use the
    default values for everything (usually set to AUTO).

    Anyway, the problem is that I tried to install win98, and everything
    looks normal, until it tries to go into windows for the first time. At
    that point, it just sits for around 30 minutes or so (maybe more, maybe
    less...I just walked away and came back some time later - also, the
    little bar at the bottom of the screen continues to move the whole time,
    albeit extremely slowly). Finally, it continues, but comes up with
    exception errors (I don't recall which on off hand, but if I can get it
    to happen again, I'll post it). In any case, after the exception error,
    it tries to search for new hardware. At this point, I let it sit
    upwards of an hour and it did nothing. Hitting ctrl+alt+del says the
    computer is busy, but busy doing what?!? It should never take this
    long. I finally just reset the bloody thing, but on rebot, it took just
    as long to do something.

    Has anyone here experienced this sort of issue? What could be the
    problem? I already tried reducing the CPU speed, took one stick of ram
    out, reduced the ram speed, and a number of other things, to no avail.

    Any help here is greatly appreciated!!!

    Thanks,
    Kevin

    P.S. Take the underscore out of the return email to contact me directly.

    Kevin, Oct 10, 2005

  2. Kevin

    Grim Guest

    See: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];312108

    Windows95/98 has install problems with CPUs greater than 2.1ghz

    Grim

    Grim, Oct 10, 2005

  3. Kevin

    DaveL Guest

    You need Windows XP. Let go of the past. It's a new millennium.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Oct 10, 2005
  4. Kevin

    DaveL Guest

    BTW, the Epox website does not even list a Win9X chipset driver for that
    board. That ought to tell you something right there.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Oct 10, 2005
  5. Kevin

    Jon's News Guest

    Can Win98 even handle large HDDs???

    Jon's News, Oct 10, 2005
  6. Kevin

    Brian G Guest

    <Snipped>

    The future is not always the best - more expensive and bloated yes, but not
    always the best!

    Brian G

    Brian G, Oct 10, 2005
  7. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    I was planning on installing the 64-bit version of XP in a dual-boot
    configuration with Win98SE, since the one thing I really wanted was
    access to a bunch of my old software that does not function correctly
    under windows XP (I am currently using the 32-bit version, and have
    found out the hard way). I guess I'm nostalgic that way! :)

    What's even worse is that the 64-bit version of XP does not support any
    16-bit software as I understand it, so I'd have no luck getting my old
    DOS stuff working.

    Anyway, I've tried a few more things since my initial post, including
    taking out one stick of RAM, thus reducing the system to 512MB. I've
    also tried underclocking the cpu to 1Ghz (for some reason I couldn't go
    lower...). I've also played around with the timings for the RAM,
    slowing it down. Finally, I tried to install Windows ME, which appeared
    to be acting better, until it tries setting up the windows desktop (all
    the folders, etc.) It works for about 15 seconds, then halts. Same
    thing happens when it starts up scandisk - it'll run for about 15-20
    seconds, then halt.

    I've got a few other things to try yet, but I might just end up
    installing an XP / XP64 combo. Coincidentally, it doesn't appear NVIDIA
    even wrote drivers for OSs before Windows 2000. I'd be satisfied with
    the stock generic drivers if they worked.

    Thanks all!
    Kevin

    Kevin, Oct 11, 2005
  8. Kevin

    VWWall Guest

    WinXP32 doesn't do too well with older programs.

    Win x64 won't install some 32bit programs if they use 16bit installers!

    I am dual booting WinXP, (32bit), and WinXP x64, (64bit) on a machine
    with AMD Athlon64 3000+. I also have SUSE Linux on one partition. All
    work well. The big problem with WinXP x64, is finding drivers for
    printers, scanners, cameras, etc. This will probably change with time,
    especially since Vista will have 64 bit capability. Graphics was a
    problem, but most card makers now have 64bit drivers, but you have to
    hunt for them. I finally found a driver for my on-board AC'97 sound.

    You could even set up a machine which had DOS as a boot option. DOS 7,
    from the Win98 CD works well with programs I wrote many years ago. :)

    You can get a free evaluation copy of x64 from Microsoft. DL the .iso
    file, burn it to a CD, and you can try it free for 120 days. Adding x64
    to my XP32 was no problem, and Windows set up the boot loader. I
    suspect trying it from Win98 might require some boot loader surgery!

    VWWall, Oct 11, 2005
  9. Kevin

    Shep© Guest

    Can you boot to Safemode?

    Shep©, Oct 12, 2005
  10. Kevin

    w_tom Guest

    This is why responsible manufacturers provide comprehensive
    diagnostics. You are simply shotgunning in a hope of finding
    a solution. Time to confirm all parts of hardware are
    functional. If manufacturer does not provide comprehensive
    diagnostics, then get them individually from component
    manufacturers. Hardware to suspect (test) first included CPU
    functions and video controller.

    It makes no sense trying drivers and reloading windows if
    hardware (and there are functions used by one OS that the
    other may not use) has not first been verified.

    w_tom, Oct 12, 2005
  11. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Thanks to everyone who responded! I finally did what I should have done
    from the get-go and started playing around with the onboard functions,
    i.e. turning on and off the onboard audio, lan, usb, firewire, etc.
    After turning off the audio, I finally got it to install. This sort of
    surprised me, however, as the board employs the AC97 codec (maybe it
    doesn't really matter). Anyway, I don't think the audio hardware is
    bad, I just need to install drivers for it prior to turning the hardware
    back on.

    But, I have worked with computers for a long time, and never have I seen
    this sort of reaction from a hardware conflict. Live and learn, I suppose!

    Cheers,
    Kevin

    Kevin, Oct 12, 2005
  12. Kevin

    Ardent Guest

    You can try getting a copy of NDIS.VXD 4.90.3000 (I think that one is
    from the ME) and putting it in the Windows\system folder.

    My problem with Prescott 2.4 was solved this way.

    HTH

    Ardent, Oct 16, 2005
  13. Kevin

    enrico Guest

    are you kidding?

    you have a config good for win view
    and you want to install win98? an old 7 years system?
    how do you think it could manage pci-e sata2 and a 64bit processor?

    do you think, if you could install and use it without problems, that an amd
    64 can be stressed enough with this system?
    1 gb is too much for 98 - try win millennium (if you are so masochist) or
    win2000

    it's an amazing config (especially if you have ddr 500-600)
    you can set in async cpu & ram and put the bus at 300 mhz (with ht x3) and
    ddr at 333 mhz
    with that videocard you can do everything you want
    with doom3 and half life 2 and you want to use win98?

    spend 90 euros / dollars and buy winxp home

    enrico, Oct 24, 2005
  14. Kevin

    enrico Guest

    if you really need win98

    use win4lin under winxp and install win98 with this emulator
    or vmware (win4lin is better)

    enrico, Oct 24, 2005
  15. Kevin

    ZaDarkSide Guest

    Same problem here...but i tryied to disable Audio AC97,
    USB and Network from BIOS and no result...keeps lagging at the
    logo...
    Then i tryied patching ndis.vxd still no result...

    Here is bootlog.txt

    [00034CE5] Loading Device = C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DISPLAY.SYS
    [00034CE6] LoadSuccess = C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DISPLAY.SYS
    [00034CE5] Loading Device = C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    [00034CE8] LoadSuccess = C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    [00034CE5] Loading Device = C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS
    [00034CE5] LoadSuccess = C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS
    [00034CE5] Loading Device = C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
    [00034CE5] LoadSuccess = C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
    [00034CE6] C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MODE.COM[00034CE5] starting
    [00034CF8] C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MODE.COM[00034CF7] starting
    [00034CF8] C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\KEYB.COM(Logo disabled)
    [00034CF8] starting

    My Config
    Mainboard : EPOX 9NPA+ULTRA
    CPU : AMD ATHLON 64 3000+
    RAM : 1 GB DDR Dual-Channel
    HDD : 40 GB Maxtor IDE ATA-133
    VIDEO : nVIDIA PCI-Ex16 6800LE

    I need Win98 for older programs that do not run in XP, i have XP too
    so do not start saying that i need to buy XP....

    ZaDarkSide, Dec 7, 2005
  16. Kevin

    Semi Head Guest

    WIN 98 OS will not run on EP's 9NPA+Ultra MB.
    It says so in the MB manual.

    Semi Head, Dec 7, 2005
  17. Kevin

    ZaDarkSide Guest

    Well Windows Millenium runs fine and it's not listed a
    supported either so a vxd driver is causing the problem...so wich on
    because my bootlog.txt stops at startup but i don't know wich drive
    windows should load next..

    ZaDarkSide, Dec 7, 2005
  18. Kevin

    DaveL Guest

    Can't you run your win98 apps in compatibility mode? When it comes to
    compatibility, XP is the champ. I even had windows 3.1 apps working
    flawlessly in XP.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Dec 7, 2005