Unable to keep CPU temperature down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spindr130, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Spindr130

    Spindr130 Guest

    I am having a problem with keeping the temperature of my CPU down. The
    CPU runs at a temperature between 57C and 60C when idle. The case temp
    is a steady 25C. These measurements taken with Mother Board Monitor
    and confirmed with the bios'. A friend with a similarly configured
    system and physical environment idles below 50C.

    -Amd Athlon XP 2200
    -Thermaltake Volcano 6 CPU cooling system
    -2 intake case fans
    -2 exhaust case fans

    I have tried reapplying the heat sink compound as well as checked and
    rechecked all of the fan and heat sink installations for correctness.

    I am simply out of idea's and am having a hard time determining a
    course of action on my own.

    All suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated,
    Thank you
    Shaun Spin

    Spindr130, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Spindr130

    M Judge Guest

    Sounds like a HSF even better than that may be needed. However,
    Athlon's are naturally hot beasts, particularly the 2200+ which is the
    hottest of the Thouroughbred cored athlons and the first to use that
    core, albeit the original version of the thouroughbred core. You might
    also take a look at the cable routing in your case, is it out the way
    and not obstructing airflow. Either way, take a look at the
    Thermalright SLK900U and other heatsinks like it. www.pccasegear.com
    is the place to look. Cheers, and good luck with fixing that heat
    problem.

    M Judge, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Spindr130

    Spindr130 Guest

    Thank You for your advice. Does anyone else have any thoughts?
    Shaun Spin

    Spindr130, Oct 17, 2003