Unbelievable: Soyo BIOS (KT600 DRAGON+) does NOT support 2 floppydrives ??!!!

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Peter Smith, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. Peter Smith

    Peter Smith Guest

    Have no idea (except throwing away my Soyo MB and buying a better one
    from an other vendor) to solve my problem...
    .... have only ONE floppy drive option, named "DRIVE A:" - I can choose a
    floppy type here, but I like to use my second floppy drive - no way,
    Soyo disabled the DRIVE B: option !!! This company is mad.

    Have seen that MODBIN shows me that there is a DRIVE B: option hidden.
    But when using AWDFLASH to burn the modified BIOS, the program just says
    "...this not an AWARD 6.0 BIOS...".
    So again, SOYO does not only disable useful options, no, they also
    modified the identifier of the bios so nobody can change options.

    I just hate Soyo for such a hostile customer policy.

    Anybody who can help me solving my nonsupported-drive-b-problem ?
    Is there any utility which can modify the CMOS settings also ?

    Regards
    Peter

    Peter Smith, Mar 30, 2005

  2. Peter Smith

    f/fgeorge Guest

    Look for a combo drive, I am guessing that you want to so you an still
    support the old 5 1/4" drives. They make combo units that have both
    drives in one unit and will do what you want.

    f/fgeorge, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Peter Smith

    Peter Smith Guest

    That's totally bullshit. Even a combo drive has logically two drive
    connectors, and will be accessed as two floppy drives. I do not have a
    space problem (I have a free drive slot).
    I just want to enable the disabled option in my BIOS. The floppy
    controller is able to access 2 drives without any hassle.
    But, as I already said, AWDFLASH still tell me, "It is not Award BIOS
    !". But I have saved my "live" BIOS (with the help of AWDFLASH) before.
    Even the unmodified (but saved) BIOS can't be flashed back because it
    claims, I have no Award BIOS. This program (AWDFLASH) is also crazy.

    Regards
    Peter

    Peter Smith, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Peter Smith

    f/fgeorge Guest

    The point about the combo drive was not space OR cable connections. It
    WAS the fact that you only have to use one cable with 2 connectors on
    it thereby forcing the machine to see 2 drives.

    f/fgeorge, Mar 31, 2005
  5. Peter Smith

    Peter Smith Guest

    So do you really think just using this drive will result in an automatic
    appearance of two drives ? The DPMI and the CMOS storage must reflect
    this, Windows for example can't detect new (drive) hardware if no BIOS
    information was set.
    Btw.: I've managed to modify my BIOS with MODBIN successfully, I also
    solved the flash problem by using a newer version of AWDFLASH, seems
    that former versions (below 8.5) of AWDFLASH are not able to flash
    Phoenix/Award BIOS, with the v8.54 it was no problem.

    Regards
    Peter

    Peter Smith, Mar 31, 2005
  6. Peter Smith