Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Don McKenzie, Mar 12, 2010.

  1. Don McKenzie

    Don McKenzie Guest

    Tuesday March 9, 2010
    Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

    By now, you've probably seen many of the homemade videos from people who
    ordered an Intel Core i7-920 processor from Newegg.com and received a
    bogus processor and hunk of plastic shaped like a fan. Newegg has thrown
    supplier IPEX Infotech of Freemont [corrected] California under the bus
    for this fiasco; in a statement released to Information Week, the
    retailer said, "We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit
    and are terminating our relationship with this supplier."

    http://www.gearlog.com/2010/03/hands_on_fake_intel_core_i7-92_1.php

    Cheers Don...

    --
    Don McKenzie

    Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
    Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
    No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam

    Product Sellout: 15% OFF 4DSystems OLED Displays & modules.
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/micro-oled.html

    Don McKenzie, Mar 12, 2010

  2. Don McKenzie

    me here Guest

    That's a good one.

    Someone somewhere must be laughing their heads off on that scam, and
    driving a slighly more upmarket car.

    Be interesting to see if they catch the culprits.

    Pretty unlikely.

    I suppose there's a vacancy at Newegg for a store receivals officer now.

    me here, Mar 13, 2010

  3. Don McKenzie

    Jim Stewart Guest

    Called incoming inspection here in the colonies :)

    And the they were probably the first employees fired
    when the economy tanked.

    Jim Stewart, Mar 13, 2010
  4. Don McKenzie

    keithr Guest

    I spent 2 weeks in Japan once caused by the customer having incoming
    inspection where my employer did not. Out of the 60 PCs we shipped, they
    rejected 50, everything from memory parity errors (remember those?), bad
    hard disks to a keyboard that had two full stops and no comma. How many
    heads rolled from that fiasco? Exactly none. Did we start doing incoming
    inspection? No, we just sold to less choosy customers.

    keithr, Mar 13, 2010
  5. Don McKenzie

    Cesar Rabak Guest

    Em 13/3/2010 00:08, Tim Wescott escreveu:
    No... incoming inspection is old fashioned because you know we've this
    ISO 9k certificates on file and we only buy from other certified folks...

    Cesar Rabak, Mar 14, 2010
  6. Don McKenzie

    Mr.T Guest

    Sadly a very real misconception.

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Mar 15, 2010
  7. me here skrev:
    Incoming inspection might not do the job.
    I met someone who bought a cheap 8 GB (or whatever) iPod in China,
    and when back home, he started loading it up.

    Memory was full after 128 MB...

    BR
    Ulf Samuelsson

    Ulf Samuelsson, Mar 15, 2010
  8. Don McKenzie

    Mr.T Guest

    Er, isn't that the point of incoming inspection! (acceptance testing)
    "Inspection" doesn't mean a quick visual for obvious physical damage you
    realise?

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Mar 16, 2010