Unexpected reboot problem - Possible sollution -

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Johnny Solar, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Johnny Solar

    Johnny Solar Guest

    Hi

    Sorry for the major crossposting, but I feel that this information has a
    better
    chance of reaching the people in need, when they use the various search
    engines to find an answer to a quite common, but so far, very mysterious
    problem.

    The problem im talking about is computers that for no apparent reason reboot
    (no not because of viruses or worms).
    In windows, typically you would only see an entry in the system log like
    this;

    Previous shutdown was unexpected

    There are no other log entries, no bluescreens, no memorydumps, just this
    entry.
    When tracking the problem, people tend to find nothing wrong with their
    hardware, memory, powersupply or with their OS.
    There have been discussions about this subject, touching things like memory
    problems, powersupply problems and so on.

    A very possible explanation:

    It may be that your motherboard has the types of capacitors/condensers that
    fails after a while, we've had two different brands of motherboards with the
    same problem on them, one VIA chipset mb and one MSI motherboard;

    Typically the computer started to reboot without warning at random times
    after about 2.5 years of troublefree service.
    It was nothing in the windows 2000 log except "Last shutdown at xx:xx:xx was
    unexpected"
    After testing the computers to the best of my knowledge i finally contacted
    IBM support who then changed the motherboard on my computer, no questions
    asked.

    The sollution to the mystery:

    You can see it easily by opening up your computer and check for the
    components that look like small barrels around your processor (can be placed
    elsewhere too though), these "barrels" are called capacitor or condensers.
    These capacitors/condensers are supposed to be flat ontop (usually they have
    a cross marking too), if they bulge upwards ontop (like a cone, tuch it with
    your finger and feel it), it means they have failed, and your processor is
    no longer getting a stable voltage/current, causing it to reboot at random
    times, just like if you had overclocked it too much. The aim of the
    condensators as it was explained to me by the serviceman from IBM, was to
    keep the voltage at a stabile level towards the cpu, as it can fluctuate
    during uptime.

    If this is the case, contact your dealer and get a refund or similar,
    becuase it's not a user error, but a vendor error.
    The capacitor/condenser type was faulty produced and they are common across
    a wide range of motherboards, so it can happen to IBM, Compaq, Dell and the
    whole lot out there.

    This problem was most common in motherboards produced around 1999-2002 i
    think, but offcourse this may happen on some various brands today for all i
    know.

    Anyway, I just wanted to contribute to a sollution to a very annoying
    problem for those it conserns, it's almost impossible to know/see it if you
    aren't an expert, but now you know.

    Best regards
    Johnny Solar

    Johnny Solar, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Johnny Solar

    Jim Guest

    Thx, btw, I've also seen this happen from simply OC'ing too far. All my
    tests run fine (Memtest, Prime95, 3DMark, etc.), but every so often it would
    suddenly reboot. On a hunch, I simply backed off my FSB by one (1) MHz,
    problem went away! It's sometimes that simple ;)

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 2, 2004

  3. Johnny Solar

    edozie

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks For This

    I Have Been Facing This Same Problem But I Do Not Get You Right As In What The Solution May Be?

    Chiedozie

    edozie, Oct 19, 2006