Uninstall Window Update v5, downgrade to Windows Update v4 again

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Daniel Mettler, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. About a month ago, I've installed Windows XP SP2RC2 on my TabletPC. As
    some installed applications were crashing often (unfortunately) in
    Windows XP SP2RC2, I decided to uninstall the SP2RC2. Uninstalling it
    worked. The problem now is, however, that I've still installed Windows
    Update v5 which obviously doesn't work correctly for "standard Windows
    XP" (i.e. XP without SP2RC2). It doesn't offer any security etc.
    updates but it instead always prompts me to install SP2RC2 (which I
    don't want, obviously).

    I thus need to downgrade Windows Update v5 to the standard Windows
    Update (IIRC v4) again. How can I do this? I've searched "Add/Remove
    programs" but I couldn't find any entry for Windows Update v5. I've
    taken a look at the support information of each installed "Windows XP
    Hotfix", but couldn't find any "Windows Update" entry there either. At
    least I could uninstall BITS 2.0 (Hotfix KB842773), but of course this
    doesn't solve the problem.

    To get my previous system back again, I need to be able to undo all
    the steps mentioned in
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2wuins.mspx.

    This is very important for me. Any help appreciated.

    Regards

    Daniel Mettler

    Daniel Mettler, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Daniel Mettler

    Chris H. Guest

    If you're running System Restore, use a Restore Point to retreat to a date
    prior to your SP2 RC2 installation. The v.5 Windows Update site will become
    the norm for Windows XP with the release of SP2.

    Chris H., Jul 21, 2004

  3. Daniel Mettler

    Jack Guest

    Jack, Jul 21, 2004
  4. Thanks, Chris. Unfortunately, there isn't any Restore Point from a
    date prior to my SP2 RC2 installation (eventually due to upgrading
    Windows Update to v5).

    Well, maybe I better wait for the final release of SP2 anyway.. I
    suppose it's just around the corner now.

    BTW My upgrade recommendation for SP2RC2 is still valid nevertheless.
    SP2RC2 isn't the problem. As I'm using my TabletPC for "mission
    critical" things at the moment I'd prefer to temporarily run SP1
    again.

    Regards

    Dan

    Daniel Mettler, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Thanks a lot, Jack - that's the solution :) When I first tried it, it
    didn't work, but now, all of a sudden, it does.. amazing but cool :)

    Regards

    Dan

    Daniel Mettler, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Daniel Mettler

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jul 24, 2004
  7. Daniel Mettler

    ToxicApple Guest

    search for "WUWebControl" then right click it and select remove you ca
    also run regedit after that and search for "WUWebControl" and delet
    the folders that its in but you mess with the registry at your own ris
    but it work for m

    -
    ToxicAppl

    ToxicApple, Aug 5, 2004
  8. Daniel Mettler

    Cazulp Guest

    Daniel
    Wish I could help. Today Windows Update v5 and the new Automati
    Updates automatically installed on a Win XP SP1 PC Image that I wa
    certifying. I ran into the same problem whereby the only patch flagge
    as missing was BITS when in reality there were at least 10 missin
    (confirmed by MBSA 1.2.1). This means now that anyone without SP2 usin
    Windows Update will not be given missing patches prior to SP2. Yo
    would have thought that something like this could not have happened.
    would be interested if you find a solution or hopefully MS fixes th
    problem.
    Dave

    -
    Cazul

    Cazulp, Aug 17, 2004
  9. Cazulp, unfortunately I don't know any (reliable) solution. The
    proposed work-around by Jack (see earlier in this thread) only worked
    for a couple of times, later I got automagically forwarded to Windows
    Update v5 again when accessing the URL of v4. As I've installed SP2
    (i.e. the final) now, it's no longer a problem for me. Nevertheless
    it's pretty obvious that MS will have to provide a solution for this
    problem soon.

    Regards

    Dan

    Daniel Mettler, Aug 18, 2004