    update for the audio system and one for the BIOS...

    thanks in advance!
    Erick->

    Erick, Aug 4, 2006

  2. Erick

    Kevin Guest

    This may be a silly question, but why did you buy the laptop if the
    operating system was not to your liking? Unless you already have a copy of
    XP Pro you will be shelling out about $150, more or less, to purchase one.
    You will have to do a clean install of XP Pro. Make sure you have ALL the
    available XP Pro hardware device drivers for the unit before you do the
    format and installation.

    Kevin, Aug 4, 2006

  3. Erick

    Erick Guest

    yep, you right, but it was a gift, otherwise I'd do what you're saying

    the big problem is get all the drivers :(

    Erick, Aug 4, 2006
  4. Erick

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    Erick,
    Its quite simple use "MEDIA/WIPE" on your c: drive. It will remove
    all data from c: and reformat the c: drive for you. Now you better
    have a restoral CD or an upgrade win/xp/pro upgrade disk.
    If you have the upgrade win/xp/pro disk, then your gonna have to
    reinstall at least win98se or later version of windows first.
    Then you install win/xp/pro upgrade disk right on top of 98se or
    me, or win2000 whatever! If you do this of course you will probably
    have to "reactivate" your win/xp/pro one more time with MD.
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Aug 4, 2006
  5. Erick

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    Erick->I bought the win/xp/pro upgrade version at Comp/USA and cost $188.
    I already had win98se (required for use of upgrade disk)
    I found no need to download any drivers. Everything worked fine from
    the start. USB devices, external backpack burner driver was the only
    thing I had to get a driver for (a 32 bit driver) and it worked fine.
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Aug 4, 2006
  6. Erick

    Erick Guest

    thanks you very much Joseph

    I have the winXP boot cdrom... so... wish me luck with the hardware
    detection...

    Erick->

    Erick, Aug 5, 2006
  7. Erick

    J. Clarke Guest

    Before you go to a lot of work, be aware that MCE is XP Pro with some bells
    and whistles. The only thing it doesn't do that XP Pro does is join a
    domain after installation (it can join a domain at install time). Unless
    you're on a corporate network there is no reason I can think of to replace
    MCE with XP Pro.

    J. Clarke, Aug 7, 2006
  8. Erick

    J. Clarke Guest

    Why bother, reformat is one of the options when doing a fresh installation
    of Windows.

    J. Clarke, Aug 7, 2006
  9. Erick

    J. Clarke Guest

    You can get the OEM version at Newegg for $150.

    J. Clarke, Aug 7, 2006
  10. STOP!!

    Windows XP Media Center is XP Pro with some changes/additions.

    It is FAR better than XP Home (being, again, essentially, XP Pro)

    You don't have to use the Media Center Interface, which is actually a
    program that CAN be (and in your case apparently is) configured to run
    on startup. There is a setting somewhere (don't remember where, I think
    it's in the "Settings" section of MCE) to select the default startup,
    either MCE (Media Center) or just the normal, garden variety Windows XP
    Pro desktop.

    EITHER WAY, you can switch between them: If you are in Media Center, go
    to the "Power" icon (vertical stick with a circle around it, at the
    upper left corner of the screen), select it, then select "close Media
    Center". If you are in the normal Windows Desktop, Media Center is in
    the start menu (and can be dragged to the desktop).

    There is no "uninstallation" of Media Center possible. It's an
    Operating system (again, it's essentially XP Pro, with a LOT of
    additions and just a few changes). Of course you can remove it entirely
    and install any other OS you want, but to remove it and install either
    XP Home or, in almost all cases, XP Pro, is just plain dumb, dumb, dumb.

    Be glad that you got it, the machine would otherwise have come with XP
    Home, and this way you get almost all of XP Pro's features (including
    remote control) without paying $100 extra.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 7, 2006
  11. That is right, J: Media Center is XP Pro with, for the most part,
    ADDITIONAL stuff, and it's at least potentially good stuff.

    If you don't want the Media Center interface, select the normal, garden
    variety Windows XP Pro desktop to come up at startup. It's a user
    choice, Media Center or standard XP Desktop. Compared to XP Home, there
    is NO DRAWBACK or DOWNSIDE to Media Center, Media Center is better in
    EVERY way. Compared to XP Pro, Media Center has a bunch of extra media
    stuff, but you do lose domain networking. Other than that, Media Center
    is BETTER.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 7, 2006
  12. Erick

    J. Clarke Guest

    Further, I run a domain on my home system and even though MCE can't join the
    domain the domain can be configured so that the MCE machine has
    access--what won't happen is application of security profiles.

    J. Clarke, Aug 7, 2006
  13. Actually, MCE can join a domain. You get ONE chance to join a domain
    during installation. There is no facility for changing the domain
    subsequently.

    There are "hacks" to restore domain functionality to MCE (in which case,
    Media Extender functionality is lost .... there is a conflict between
    them). They are messy, but they do work. They involve taking an MCE
    installation CD and an XP Pro installation CD and making a "Hybrid" that
    has some files from each. Not easy, not clean, but it does work.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 8, 2006
  14. Erick

    Erick Guest

    and... if the laptop is preinstalled... how can I change the domain??
    :(

    and... Toshiba A105 series don't have IR port, so there is no remote
    control (MCE remote) in the box...

    Erick->

    Erick, Aug 8, 2006
  15. With a full OEM installation CD for Windows XP Media Center Edition
    (MCE), you get one chance to join a domain during installation. You get
    no chances on a laptop (or desktop) with MCE preinstalled. Toshiba
    didn't select that option (and couldn't .... they don't know the domain
    name), and the reinstallation CD that they give you isn't the same as a
    Microsoft CD ... rather, it just images the completely installed hard
    drive back to the hard drive.

    There MIGHT be a way to "make" an installation CD from the I386 folder
    that Toshiba left on the hard drive. I'm not sure, however, if that
    folder is complete or not.

    The fact is, most users will want workgroup networking rather than
    domain networking anyway. But in any case, XP Home also doesn't have
    domain networking, so what you still come back to is that MCE remains
    unconditionally better than XP Home as an operating system choice.

    As for the remote control, MCE requires the Microsoft MCE remote
    control, and it's an external USB IR receiver anyway. I've never seen a
    laptop with an internal IR receiver that would work for MCE, even if the
    laptop had in internal IrDA port (although I won't argue that such a
    configuration would be useful).

    The same is true for a TV tuner, if necessary, you have to use an
    external USB model (there are several, I suggest the Hauppauge WinTV PVR
    USB2. CAUTION: The "WinTV USB" and "WinTV USB2" models will NOT work
    for MCE, although you can install them and watch them on the normal
    windows desktop using the Hauppauge software. ONLY the "PVR" model
    works as a fully supported tuner with MCE.)

    All that Toshiba is doing in some of their current models is giving you
    MCE instead of XP Home without charging any price premium. Although
    there is neither a remote control nor a tuner, it's still a good deal
    for the consumer because except for domain networking, you get all of XP
    Pro's features (remote control, full NTFS security, etc.) without paying
    for XP Pro. And you can add the remote and tuner, if desired, as
    external USB devices.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 8, 2006
  16. Erick

    J. Clarke Guest

    Do you _need_ to join a domain for any reason? If so, then google "MCE Join
    Domain" and you'll find several methods.
    The MCE remote doesn't work with IRDA ports anyway. But you don't need the
    remote for anything unless you're using the computer as a TV in which case
    if you get the right tuner the remote should be included.

    J. Clarke, Aug 8, 2006
  17. Erick

    Joel Kolstad Guest

    I would recommend, then, that you copy all the files off the current PC to,
    e.g., a portable hard drive. In all likelihood, the drivers are on there
    *somewhere*, and I'd much rather do a little GREPing of a single hard disk for
    *.inf files than doing similarly all over Google.

    Joel Kolstad, Aug 14, 2006
  18. Erick

    Erick Guest

    that's a good idea!

    Erick, Aug 15, 2006
  19. Erick

    dueyduong Guest

    I had almost the exact "problem" you have. I got a new Toshiba laptop
    as a gift and want to use it for work, and although I don't mind MCE
    (because like everyone has already said, it is essentially XP Pro), I
    can't join our domain at work if I stick with MCE. I was thinking about
    formatting and reinstalling XP Pro, but even with the Toshiba recovery
    CD, I wasn't sure all the drivers are on there.

    So instead of reformatting and doing everything over from scratch, I
    found a work-around below on Google. I just did it about 10 minutes
    ago and it works perfectly. It is essentially a registry key edit that
    somebody somehow found (MS insider I suspect). The work-around wasn't
    entirely complete since it left a recovery console as a boot option, so
    I added a couple of steps to make it complete. Steps or comments I
    have added begin with three asterisks ( *** ). It seems complicated if
    you have no idea what you're doing, but it really is simple and
    straight forward. Let me know if you need help. Enjoy.

    *** BEFORE YOU BEGIN: MAKE COPY OF C:\BOOT.INI (HIDDEN, SYSTEM FILE)
    AND NAME IT BOOT.001 AND STORE IN C:\

    01 - Insert Windows XP CD. (*** NOT REALLY NEEDED!)
    02 - Start > Run > X:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons (*** COULD RUN FROM
    C:\WINDOWS\i386 AS WELL)
    03 - (replace X: with the appropiate drive letter)
    04 - Acknowledge prompt by clicking 'Yes'.
    05 - Skip updating process by clicking 'Cancel' or by pressing 'Esc'
    06 - After installation, acknowledge success msg. by clicking 'Ok'
    07 - Start > Shutdown > Restart
    08 - At boot menu, select 'Microsoft Windows Recovery Console'
    09 - Select proper installation to log onto (default: 1) and press
    'Enter'
    10 - (If prompted, enter Administrator password and press 'Enter')
    11 - Type (without quotes) and press enter: 'cd system32\config'
    12 - Type (without quotes) and press enter: 'copy SYSTEM C:\'
    13 - Type (without quotes) and press enter: exit
    14 - At boot menu, select 'Windows XP Media Center Edition'
    15 - Start > Run > Type: 'regedit' and press enter
    16 - Click on 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE'.
    17 - File > Load Hive...
    18 - Browse and select C:\SYSTEM
    19 - Specify key name 'BANANA' and click OK
    20 - Expand: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > BANANA > WPA > MedCtrUpg
    21 - On the right-hand side, double-click IsLegacyMCE value
    22 - Change selected value to 1 and click Ok. (THAT IS NOT AN L!)
    23 - Click on BANANA subkey (under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE).
    24 - File > Unload Hive. Confirm.
    25 - Start > Shutdown > Restart
    26 - At boot menu, select 'Microsoft Windows Recovery Console'
    27 - Select proper installation to log onto (default: 1) and press
    'Enter'
    28 - (If prompted, enter Administrator password and press 'Enter')
    29 - Type (without quotes) and press enter: 'cd \'
    30 - Type (without quotes) and press enter: 'copy SYSTEM
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM'
    31 - (Yes, you want to overwrite - Go ahead and do it)
    32 - Type (without quotes) and press enter: 'del SYSTEM'
    33 - Type (without quotes) and press enter: 'exit'
    34 - At boot menu, select 'Windows XP Media Center Edition'
    35 - Join domain.
    *** WE'RE DONE, BUT SEE BELOW TO GET RID OF RECOVER CONSOLE AS "OS"
    OPTION DURING BOOT-UP ***

    *** To remove Recovery Console as an OS option during boot-up, after
    confirming that domain joining is enabled:

    *** 1) Reboot and select Recovery Console, and proceed to command
    prompt.
    *** 2) Go to "C:\". A BOOT.BAK file should be in C:\.
    *** a) if BOOT.BAK exists: copy BOOT.BAK BOOT.INI
    *** b) if BOOT.BAK does NOT exist: copy BOOT.001 BOOT.INI (BOOT.001
    created earlier, at beginning)
    *** 3) Reboot and Recovery Console should no longer be a boot option.
    You can now delete the "cmdcons" folder that should be in C:\

    dueyduong, Aug 22, 2006
  20. Erick

    Erick Guest

    could you send me the link of it? ( google link)

    mmm what exactly it does?? format to XPpro or modify MCE so you can
    specify a domain?? :S

    the trick seems very interesting

    Erick->

    Erick, Aug 22, 2006