Uninstalling ATI Catalyst v12.6 driver resulted no video signal!

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Ant, Oct 1, 2012.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hi!

    This was weird. I was uninstalling my AMD Catalyst v12.6 driver to
    reinstall it in my old, updated 64-bit W7 HPE (IE8) machine. I
    accidently forgot to tell it to remove AMD Install Manager as well.
    During its uninstall, I lost my video (LCD Acer HDTV monitor detected no
    video signal). I thought it was a glitch so I shut down the computer and
    repowered on. No video signal again! I was able to see before Windows
    GUI was loaded and in safe mode. I couldn't even run the uninstaller
    (required Windows Installer service!) and installer/setup.exe (no video
    card detected).

    I had to use Driver Sweeper v3.2.0 (yes, I know it is bad to use it but
    I had no way out of it and needed to use the computer!) to clean up the
    mess in safe mode and I was able to reinstall. Is this a bug? Is there a
    way to fix it without a driver clean software?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    Quote of the Week: "It's kind of an insane case ... 6,000 ants dressed
    up as rice and robbed a Chinese restaurant." --Steven Wright

    Ant, Oct 1, 2012

  2. Ant

    Ed Light Guest

    This isn't specific help, but I keep my data off C: and keep C: imaged.
    When I make changes, I image the changes (using Image For DOS, the one
    contained in BOOTit bare Metal.

    So, if there's a mishap from a new install, I just restore the most
    recent image, which doesn't even have one crash on it.

    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at