Unknown Disk on WinXP Install

Discussion in 'Asus' started by saken, Sep 3, 2006.

  1. saken

    saken

    I started in gparter to create partitions for a dual boot WinXP/Linux
    Formatted the drive
    Created one NTFS one starting at the beginning of the drive and left the rest free for the linux installation to use. Everything went smoothly till I inserted the WinXP cd and got to where it shows the partitions and drives (the first menu where you can use the arrow keys).

    Now I would get the error setupdd.sys .... STOP : 0x0000008E .
    So I installed Linux to have a running OS to figure things out with (which im on now).
    And searched around alot, finding many fixes for this error. Including bad ram modules or hardware. I started by replacing every part of my computer, ram one at a time first, sound card, cd drives, floppy drive. Aswell as removing all USB peripherals, with the chance they may be incompatible . And nothing fixed the problem.

    At one point I realized I had forgot to remove on USB device, and for some reason, once I removed it I didnt get the error (but unknown disk drives still). So I figured I had fixed the error message. But I then restarted again, got back to that window without changing anything and all of a sudden I get the error again, which makes me thinnk it has to dowith the CPU overheating ot being to cold. Could this be true? Well I got the error continuously for a while.
    Untill I coincidently put in a flash drive, and when I got to the windows install screen. I would no longer get the error after hitting enter, and the USB drive showed up above the unknown drives.

    But now the problem is the 2 main Hard drives I have (SATA, not on RAID, on a K8v-SE Deluxe Motherboard).
    Are showing as:

    Unknown Disk
    (there is no disk in the drive)

    Unknown Disk
    (there is no disk in the drive)

    Both of which worked perfectly fine before formatting the drive.
    And they also work fine under linux, its the WinXP install that is having the problem finding the drives. Even the BIOS on startup recognizes them.
    Could this be the AMD64 Hardware Virus?

    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, here are my system stats.

    AMD 64 3400+
    K8V-SE Deluxe
    BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB AGP 8X
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    3 x 512 MB Ram
    74GB Raptor 10,000rpm SATA <- This is the drive I want to install on
    190GB Seagate SATA
    250GB WD Cav SATA/USB (in External enclosure)

    saken, Sep 3, 2006