Unreal and 7900 GTX

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Rich, Dec 8, 2007.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Hi

    Does anyone else have any problems running the new unreal on a 7900
    GTX card? I brought a new card about 3 months ago - its great in all
    my other games but on unreal I get the odd judder when in the middle
    of a firefight.

    When moving around the map normally I get a nice smooth play.

    I'm thinking that maybe its a problem with the CPU - dual AMD 64 3800
    - not the fastest in the world but still good for windows.

    Any thoughts?

    I'm stuck between getting a 8800GT in a few months or a new quad core
    intel 2 - 6600 system and dropping the 7900 GTX into that instead.

    Thanks

    Rich

    Rich, Dec 8, 2007

  2. Rich

    rms Guest

    Does anyone else have any problems running the new unreal on a 7900
    What Unreal game are you referring to? The original Unreal, or one of
    the various UTournaments ? There are patches for U1 to make it look and
    perform great on today's machines.

    rms

    rms, Dec 9, 2007

  3. Rich

    Augustus Guest

    One assumes when he says the "new Unreal" he's talking about UT 2007. A
    7900GTX should be fine for UT2007 at reasonable eye candy levels and
    moderate resolutions. You're likely going to run into framerate issues if
    you're running 1600x1200. All these newer games like UT2007 are counting on
    you having a hi-perf dual core. This makes just as big a difference as the
    graphics card.

    Augustus, Dec 9, 2007
  4. Rich

    Moo Guest

    Got any links for those U1 patches?

    Moo, Dec 10, 2007
  5. Rich

    rms Guest

    Got any links for those U1 patches?

    http://www.oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html

    That's the main one, which file you get depends on what version of the
    game you have (Unreal Gold, etc). Read the documentation file carefully.
    Also, http://celticwarriors.net/ has the S3TC hi-res textures for download
    if you don't have UT1 addon cd, and
    http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ has another updated UT opengl
    driver.

    Various sites have the Unreal 'bonus packs' for download, Singleplayer
    campaigns (I've played a couple of these, they are really well done, like
    Xidia Gold (get the post-release patch)) are at
    http://www.unrealsp.org/community/reviews.html

    There's alot of stuff out there for Unreal/UT!

    rms

    rms, Dec 10, 2007
  6. Rich

    Folk Guest

    Especially with the Unreal engine. It's always loved the processor.

    Folk, Dec 10, 2007