unrecognized pci device on optiplex gx400

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Andy Fish, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. Andy Fish

    Andy Fish Guest

    Hi,

    I have just reinstalled windows 2000 workstation on an optiplex gx400. I
    don't have any of the disks that came with the machine.

    I had to download a driver for the onboard sound from the dell web site but
    apart from that everything worked straight from windows. However, I still
    have a mystery PCI device in the device manager. if I remove it and reboot
    it comes back again

    There are no PCI cards physically installed in the machine, just the AGP
    video. From what I can tell, all the onboard kit is working.

    all I know is that it reports PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3 and uses I/O
    range DCD0-DCDF irq 10.

    any ideas what this might be?

    many thanks

    Andy

    Andy Fish, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Andy Fish

    WSZsr Guest

    Chipset driver?

    WSZsr, Aug 7, 2004

  3. I agree with the poster who simply asked, "Chipset?"

    To be more specific, you most likely need to install the Intel chipset
    drivers for your motherboard. They tell the operating system how to
    interface with features of the motherboard that the operating system doesn't
    inately know how to deal with; this would be necessary if, for example, the
    chipset in use was released just prior to or after the release of the
    operating system.

    For your GX400, visit
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...id=183&devlib=27&category=27&releaseid=R21688

    Carmine Castiglia
    Get your stuff back for less with StuffBak Labels & Tags -
    http://www.infosystemspro.com/pdaparts.htm

    PS: Pretty much the entire motherboard is filled with "PCI devices",
    regardless of whether or not you have any additional cards installed.

    Carmine Castiglia, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Andy Fish

    Andy Fish Guest

    Thanks to all for all the replies

    I was building the machine for my father and I've handed it over to him now
    so I can't try these suggestions out right away. Next time I'm visiting him
    I'll download the keyboard and chipset drivers.

    Andy

    Andy Fish, Aug 9, 2004