Unstable after upgrade from Athlon 1400 to XP 2600 on a GA-7DXR

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Larry Smith, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. Larry Smith

    Larry Smith Guest

    I have been running an Athlon 1400 in a Giga-byte 7DXR mb for several years.

    The whole system has been very stable. The motherboard has the latest BIOS
    (F10).

    This system supports the XP 2600 with a 266 FSB.

    I replaced the original processor with the latter.

    The processor is recognized correctly, but the system is very unstable.

    I get a random variety of stop errors.

    There are some programs which will not work consistently.

    The latest version of Netscape's Firefox browser was installed and ran
    perfectly on the A 1400 processor.

    This will not run at all on the new processor (actually it appears in the
    task list, but produces no windows on the screen).

    Very frequently (almost always) after booting into Windows, I get an error
    message about inability to load the Sun JVM. The file appcompat.txt
    generated by the error always shows "EXE NAME="java.exe"
    FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY""

    When I remove Firefox and the Sun JVM, the system is still unstable.

    I have run a check on the RAM ( it's OK ), and run the system with minimal
    drivers, but the problem remains.

    If I run the system in safe mode, I don't get the stop errors.... but then I
    don't run it as long in safe mode as I do regularly.

    Any suggestions?

    Larry Smith, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Larry Smith

    Larry Smith Guest

    I forgot to mention the operating system - XP Pro SP1, all the latest
    patches and drivers

    Larry Smith, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Larry Smith

    Larry Smith Guest

    I forgot to mention the OS : XP PRO SP1 with all the latest patches

    Larry Smith, Jul 12, 2004