Unstable with more than 512 meg of memory.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Brian, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I hope someone may have an idea how to fix my problem. Specs are.
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Board Rev. 1 1008 Bios
    AMD 3200- 200 FSB
    MSI FX5700 Ultra 128 66.81 Drivers
    512 Corsair XMS4000 -2 sticks
    Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    80 gig WD Hard Drive

    Not overclocked in any way.

    The problem is : at 512 megs of ram my machine will run all the
    benchmarks and games with no problem.

    If I add a 2nd 512 megs of ram , the machine locks up on any video
    benchmark. It will not run any game that access any d3d .

    The memory is set at optimal in the bios and I have also tried Kingston
    Hyper X memory with the same results.

    Any possible solutions will be appreciated, Thank You.

    Brian, Oct 10, 2004

  2. All that information and no mention of the OS.

    What OS are you using ?

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Brian

    JBM Guest

    Have you tried each stick by its self?

    Jim M

    JBM, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Brian

    {SFU}Xeon Guest

    I am assuming below where you say your fsb is 200, you actually mean 400,
    right? As anythingn from 3200 up is 400. that asside what speed are you
    trying to run your memory at? You didn't state that. Also did you check to
    make sure your video card, as well as your memory sticks are seated firmly
    in the mobo? And are you putting the sticks on the outside slots to take
    advantage of duel channel?
    Did you check Asus's web page for compatability? last I knew most mobo's
    didn't support anything above 3200, or maybe it's 3700 now..... lol. Good
    luck keep us posted.

    {SFU}Xeon

    {SFU}Xeon, Oct 10, 2004
  5. Brian

    Eric P. Guest

    Yes that's the big question!

    Eric P., Oct 10, 2004
  6. Brian

    Dreamaker Guest

    My guess would be that you've mixed two different timing memory stick
    like a corsair 522mhz one vs an hyper-x 400mhz one with extreme low latency witch would cause the
    memory failure. is you want two stick by your self the twin mos thing at Kingston. that way your
    gona be sure that the timing will not be different one each stick and cause problem.

    talking about timing do you know that you pc 4000 run at 3 4 4 X or something vs a hyper-x
    that i think would run at 2 3 2 6

    plus remember that two different stick like your funny combo will result in mem failure. Ask the
    ram-guy at corsair web site...

    Dreamaker, Oct 10, 2004
  7. Brian

    DaveW Guest

    You did NOT say which OS you are using. For instance Win98SE is unable to
    recognize more than 512 MB of RAM and will make your system unstable.

    DaveW, Oct 12, 2004
  8. He did in a second post -- WinXP SP2.

    Dave L.
    BTW: That's Win9x/ME and they will recognize the RAM, just be unstable under it w/o
    modifying SYSTEM.INI

    David H. Lipman, Oct 12, 2004