Unstable with more than 512 meg of memory.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Brian, Oct 10, 2004.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I hope someone may have an idea how to fix my problem. Specs are.
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Board Rev. 1 1008 Bios
    AMD 3200- 200 FSB
    MSI FX5700 Ultra 128 66.81 Drivers
    512 Corsair XMS4000 -2 sticks
    Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    80 gig WD Hard Drive
    Running Windows xp sp2
    Not overclocked in any way.

    The problem is : at 512 megs of ram my machine will run all the
    benchmarks and games with no problem.

    If I add a 2nd 512 megs of ram , the machine locks up on any video
    benchmark. It will not run any game that access any d3d .

    The memory is set at optimal in the bios and I have also tried Kingston
    Hyper X memory with the same results.

    Any possible solutions will be appreciated, Thank You.
    Memory Timing for XMS is 8-3-3-3
    Matched pair of XMS

    Brian, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Brian

    Richard Guest

    Are you using an adequate power supply?

    Richard, Oct 10, 2004

  3. That's pretty lame Brian.

    You posted this question before.
    You were asked for the OS which you failed to provide and then reposted the same stuff still
    not indicating the OS.

    If you want help read the thread you already created !

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Brian

    Dreamaker Guest

    you are never think about compatibility issue on hes hardware kido...
    What up about the os shit. he as to install the nforces driver witch will provide the requered dll
    to control his f%?&G memory. plus its memory controler stop at 400mhz pc3200 not 4000. also did you
    ever hear about that amd work best with low cas latency ...MORON.

    Dreamaker, Oct 10, 2004
  5. The OS has *much* do to with it. A family of MS OSs have a stability problem with RAM
    SYSTEM.INI need to be entered. The OP indicated he swapped RAM with like results.

    There are many solutions to many problems but all the facts must be defined to give the
    right answer for a particular problem.

    So get off your f**k'n high horse and don't call me a moron !

    OK ?

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 10, 2004
  6. Brian

    dino Guest

    exactly...if he "happens" to be running 98SE he needs to edit to allow
    anything greater than 512 to run properly

    dino, Oct 10, 2004
  7. Yes, the Win9x/ME family suffers this malady.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 10, 2004
  8. Brian

    Charlie Guest

    Well, the OP stated he was running Win XP sp2.

    Since I have the same board with only 512 MB, but looking to add
    another, I'd be particularly interested in any help you might offer
    (in case I see the same problem).

    Charlie, Oct 10, 2004
  9. Oh sh!t - I missed that in his repost. Thanx for pointing that out charlie { damn ! }

    In; %windir%\SYSTEM.INI

    Add the following...

    [vcache]
    MaxFileCache=512000

    The value 512000 can be less.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Oct 10, 2004
  10. Brian

    steve p Guest

    Are you running the 2 sticks in Dual channel - try them in single.
    Get Memtest-86 (http://www.memtest86.com) and test each stick individually,
    then both together in single channel mode, then both together in dual
    channel.

    Run the standard tests for a few hours in each of the above configs.
    Then you'll have an idea.

    I've got a similar problem running 2x512 Crucial PC3200 Cas3 if I try to run
    dual channel (W2K).
    Random blue screen crashes and errors.
    Must email Crucial about it sometime.
    Each stick tests fine on it's own or together in single channel.
    Errors occur in Dual.

    Hope you have better luck than me.
    Steve P.

    steve p, Oct 11, 2004
  11. Brian

    Dreamaker Guest

    Hmm, i guess that double channel was made same year that ms build that OS system like win95, 98,
    se,and millennium.

    running a dual channel board one that kind of system would be unsafe. also that ms does"nt support
    much these OS. Maintain the use of these system relaying on people help would be alot more "unsafe"
    for stability and whatever. Plus if i recall the guy have a 3200 xp one a a7n8x-dx board which is
    quite a good board.

    Finally xp can manage it own swap file and paging file and video allocating file. So i guess to me
    if you "enable" me to do so i will maintain that mixing different timing will cause some problem,
    also that hyper-x and corsair doesn't have second timing to fit the other one.

    does dual Channel require the exact timing one each stick? i guess so.
    the problem is basic.

    Dreamaker, Oct 11, 2004
  12. Brian

    Noozer Guest

    Noozer, Oct 11, 2004
  13. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Brian, Oct 11, 2004
  14. Brian:

    I want to apologize to you. Since you reposted, not replied to a post, and put all the
    information in the repost, I missed your statement about WinXP. I was mistaken and I am
    sorry for my reply.

    Dave :-(

    David H. Lipman, Oct 11, 2004
  15. Brian