Unused video RAM socket solder traces on the Aspire 5670.

Discussion in 'Acer' started by NightBreakA, May 11, 2006.

  1. NightBreakA

    NightBreakA Guest

    Hello,
    I recently picked up an Aspire 5670, and upgraded the RAM in it.
    While I had the access panel open on the bottom of it, I noticed a
    bunch of unused solder traces that looked like they were for a SO-DIMM
    socket of some sort.
    Doing a little more research, I found that the ATI Mobility Radeon
    x1400 chipset in this system can handle up to 256MB of dedicated video
    RAM. The Aspire 5670 only has 128MB of dedicated video RAM. Since
    this bus is in a different area of the motherboard than the system DIMM
    sockets, my guess would be that this bus goes to the video chipset's
    memory bus.
    I was wondering if anybody knows if this bus is active, and
    whether going through the trouble of actually putting in a socket on
    this bus would be worthwhile, or a futile effort. This video is pretty
    impressive with only 128MB, I can only imagine what it could do with
    256MB. =)

    Thanks,
    Mike H.

    NightBreakA, May 11, 2006