Up Grading 333 Mhz Vs 400Htz FSB

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by JimboSlim, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. JimboSlim

    JimboSlim Guest

    Hi Techies & Supporters

    To upgrade an existing AMD T/Bird 1.2Ghtz PC I have bought:
    MER-512-32 512Mb 400Mhz PC3200 184Pin DDR Memory Module
    CPA-X250B AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Socket A CPU + Cooler Fan Retail Box
    MBG-7N400L1 Gigabyte 7N400L1 Socket A Motherboard, 400FSB, AGP8x, LAN Auto switches to 400/333 or 266Htz FSB
    GC-AFX52D128 128Mb GeForce FX5200 AGP8x Graphics Card

    The Athlon XP 2500+ CPU is rated at 333 Mhz FSB on its box

    Will this run ok at 400 Mhz?

    My friend reckons this processor will either not run with the PC3200 400Mhz memory or would run a lot better
    with 512Mb 333Mhz PC2700 184Pin DDR Memory Module
    I have not fitted any thing yet and the memory is still in its packaging should I change the Memory as he Suggests; or just go ahead and build the new PC?

    Thanx for any help, tips or Views

    Jimbo

    JimboSlim, Aug 30, 2003

  2. JimboSlim

    Alan Guest

    Is your board a Ultra400 Nvidia chipset? Asus and Abit have release 1.xx versions which struggle at 400fsb. Ram speed is very important with these chipsets.

    I have the same processor and OCZ - EL3500. It runs at 200/400 FSB. You should be able to use settings of 200 x 11.0, or 200 x 10.5. Some have extended even further still using PC3200 and higher. Check Google and AMDZone to see if you can find others that reached this with PC2700.
    Nvidia chipsets like the best quality ram, and I am not familiar with the brand in your list.

    I also delivered a machine with a PC2700 and the same processor this week, it could only run at 166/333, also it was a VIA400 chipset.

    Hope this helps.

    Alan

    Alan, Aug 30, 2003

  3. JimboSlim

    JimboSlim Guest

    Thanx

    Yes My Board is board a nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra400 Nvidia chipset

    Shall I Suck it & C?

    Jimbo

    JimboSlim, Aug 30, 2003
  4. JimboSlim

    Ben Pope Guest

    Yeah. If the motherboard is rated for 200MHz, and the RAM is rated for
    200MHz, then you should run them both in synch.

    While you're at it you may as well leave the multiplier at 11 - I did on my
    A7N8X Deluxe.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Aug 30, 2003
  5. JimboSlim

    Mickey Guest

    Run the motherboard at the 400Mhz FSB and set the multiplier down so the it will run at its correct speed. So instead of say 166 x 2 which would be a 333FSB. With the chip running at say 133*14 which is 1862. You would run at say 200 x 2 which would be a 400 FSB. Then run the chip at 200 X 9.5 which would be 1900Mhz. This is just an example of my board and chip set you will have to adjust your accordingly. After you get everything running correctly in stock form the you can overclock.

    Mickey, Aug 30, 2003