Update: How do you control the Perc 2/SC in Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by mysticron, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. mysticron

    mysticron Guest

    Thanks for the response. I did end up trying lots of different
    combinations of OpenManage applications from the Dell support website
    and was never able to get Array Manager to see my RAID volume. When I
    go to Array Manager Utilities/Versions, it says the PERC 2/SC cannot be
    supported at the current driver/firmware version. It says my version is
    "3.13/6.19 (XPCl6.1" and the required version is "3.13/6.35.2.32."
    What I think this means is the Windows XP driver for the PERC 2/SC is
    version 6.19 and I need at least 6.35.2.32? Problem is I don't see
    this version or better of a Windows XP driver anywhere?

    The latest AMI MegaRAID (which is what the Perc 2/SC is?) driver I can
    find on the net is v2.68. It's for Win2K, so I figured it would work
    with my WinXP Pro operating system. Now every time I boot my server I
    get some kind of error.

    Any ideas on how I can get a management utility to run on my PowerEdge
    server running Windows XP Professional with a Perc 2/SC RAID? I am even
    willing to buy a management utility at this point just to be able to
    see and work with my Perc 2/SC, after wasting a couple days trying
    different versions of drivers and applications from the Dell support
    website.

    Thanks for any advice!

    [Original Thread:

    I recently picked up a Dell PowerEdge 4300 with a Perc 2/SC RAID
    controller. I installed MS Windows XP Professional on it and everything
    seems to work great.

    I'm curious though about how I can run diagnostics and control the Perc
    2/SC? I browsed through some downloads on the Dell, AMI, and LSI Logic
    websites and all I can find are drivers. When I look at disk management
    or hardware devices in Windows XP, I don't see any special Perc 2/SC
    options.

    Am I missing something? (Probably!) If someone could point me in the
    right direction, that would be great. I have limited experience with
    RAID, but have noticed with some cards you get a nice GUI application
    to run diagnostics and control them. I have noticed that one of my six
    hard drives has the far left light out, but the middle light continues
    to blink in concert with the rest of the drives.

    Any other advice on utilities I should seek out for a fresh Windows XP
    install on a 4300 would be great. So far it seems very stable running
    my personal web and email services.

    Thanks for the help!

    From: "Fixer" <> - Find messages by this author
    Subject: Re: How do you control the Perc 2/SC?

    What you need is a Dell DOSA & DOMA disk set which stands for Dell
    Open
    Server Assistant and Dell open Manage Assistant and with these you can
    set
    up your server you can also access the PERC BIOS by hitting Ctrl Alt
    and A
    or M on boot up watch the screen and it will tell you depending who
    manufactured the PERC bios once in ther you can configure your
    containers
    and set your RAID. The DOSA and DOMA disk should have come with the
    machine,
    not sure if they are available on the Dell site you will have to
    investigate

    mysticron, Jul 19, 2005

  2. mysticron

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    dont use the AMI driver.

    Update your controller FW, and install the latest driver supported by XP
    (from the dell site, NOT the MS driver).

    Then, just install the Array Manager. no reason to have System Administrator
    on there, as its likely not a server class machine.

    Once you get a supported FW/Driver pair, the array manager should see it no
    problem. You may consider trying the 2003 drivers if there are no XP drivers
    available. I havent tried that, and generally dont put server-class array
    controllers and such into my workstations.

    ftp://ftp.dell.com/scsi-raid/PERC2-WS2K3-632-A01.exe

    give that a shot. it might work. There is NO native XP driver.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Jul 20, 2005

  3. mysticron

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    your other options are to install a proper SERVER OS on that machine.

    NuTCrAcKeR, Jul 20, 2005
  4. mysticron

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    I re-read your post. You ahve a server class machine. Put a proper Server OS
    on it, and you will be fine.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Jul 20, 2005
  5. mysticron

    mysticron Guest

    Thanks for your replies! I don't believe I've tried the Windows Server
    2003 driver yet, I'll give it a shot. It looks like Windows Server
    2003 goes for @ $700, which is why I'm running Windows XP Professional
    on my old PowerEdge. I already had a license for XP and everything
    works great, except for managing the PERC 2/SC. ;)

    I'll keep the upgrade to 2003 in mind, but that seems like overkill for
    a personal website and email.

    mysticron, Jul 20, 2005