updated 7VTXH BIOS, now system stops suddenly

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by nutso fasst, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. nutso fasst

    nutso fasst Guest

    Updated the BIOS to F7 with the built-in updater, now system stops without
    warning anywhere from a few seconds to about 10 minutes after boot. Power
    supply must be turned off for a while before system will restart.

    SIV utility shows CPU temp 52C, system temp 42, CPU and case fans 4200rpm,
    voltages OK.

    Not sure the BIOS had anything to do with this, this is the first time
    system has been turned off in a long time and it's been running almost
    continuous 24/7 for over three years. No problems prior to this.

    Athlon 1700+ CPU, 1 512MB DDR, Antec 303XP power supply.

    Anyone know a likely cause for this problem?

    thanks,
    nf

    nutso fasst, Apr 29, 2004

  2. nutso fasst

    nutso fasst Guest

    After posting I removed all boards and drives and restarted. System ran for
    about an hour without shutdown, so I tried another video board. System shut
    down again after some minutes. Took out video board and ran it again with
    nothing attached. This time it shut down after about 10 minutes. This
    morning I reinstalled boards, reattached drives and restarted to check
    e-mail. System still running after five hours, CPU @ 52C, system @ 46C.
    Maybe it'll run another three years if I don't turn it off... oops,
    forgot... still haven't installed the new HDD...

    nf

    nutso fasst, Apr 30, 2004

  3. nutso fasst

    Dimitris Guest

    Possible causes:
    1) Virus infected.
    2) Inadequate power supply unit.
    3) Temp sensors have become a bit jerky and give a higher temperature
    than the actual for a few secs, which causes system to shutdown. GO to
    bios and disable the option shutdown on overheating.

    Dimitris, May 1, 2004