    the existing card can I?
    Thanks guys,
    Monica

    Monica, Sep 22, 2006

  2. Monica

    spring Guest

    spring, Sep 22, 2006

  3. Monica

    Monica Guest

    I do appreciate the link but I'm not finding what I need...not saying it's
    not there <g> just that I'm not sure what I need. On the left side of the
    screen, I chose Win XP/Radeon and Win XP/Previous drivers and software. The
    words Catalyst, Hydravision and Multimedia Center are nowhere to be found in
    any descriptions I'm finding of my video card. Perhaps there is more
    information I can offer concerning my Radeon x300 SE 128mb card that can
    narrow down my search?? Driver version for the graphics card is
    6.14.10.6476, dated 8-25-04.
    Monica

    Monica, Sep 22, 2006
  4. Monica

    spring Guest

    The driver for your card is in the download marked "Catalyst Control Center
    package" center of the page
    Hope that helps
    Bill

    spring, Sep 22, 2006
  5. Monica

    Tom Scales Guest

    It should work fine and you can't add memory. The X300 SE 'might' have
    Hypermemory, which means it only has 32MB on the actual card.

    Try the latest ATI drivers and see if that helps. Another option is to get
    a better card.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 22, 2006
  6. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Well, I tried the ATI driver update. It didn't solve the problem so I'm
    looking at more system ram or a better video card. Purchased in May
    05...Dim 8400-1GB RAM-L2 Cache 2mb-Radeon x300 SE 128mb vid card-20" FPW
    Ultra Sharp Monitor. Main applications are Adobe Elements for photo editing
    and soon, Adobe Premiere for video editing. Right now I'm using Windows
    MovieMaker for video editing and it's this app that is not responding to
    commands as quickly as it should and play back of the UNsaved movie is
    choppy. Once the movie is saved, it plays just fine. My video is is taken
    with my Canon S3 digital camera. Highest vid mode is 640x480 30fps. Sooo,
    would the system benefit more from one more gb of ram or a better video card
    with more memory. If vid card, can someone make a suggestion as to which
    card?
    Thanks guys,
    Monica

    Monica, Sep 23, 2006
  7. Monica

    spring Guest

    Your system sounds like mine. I dumped the X300 shortly after I got it and
    bought an ATI X700 Pro PCI express. That was a year or so ago, but there are
    better video cards out today, so that maybe the solution for you.
    Bill

    spring, Sep 23, 2006
  8. Monica

    Tom Scales Guest

    The short answer is both. Memory is always good. The X300 is pretty bottom
    end (came in our 8400 too). I replaced it with a PNY 7600 GS nVidia card
    and it works very, very well. I chose that card because it was fanless and
    I wanted it quiet (not all PNY 7600GS are fanless).

    I've become an nVidia person since they have screwed me on their new ATI TV
    Wonder 650.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 23, 2006
  9. Monica

    monicakm Guest

    Yeah I know both would be best but both isn't an option right now.
    I'll do one now and the other later. Thanks guys. Guess I'll start
    researching video cards.
    Monica

    monicakm, Sep 24, 2006