    possitive I chose the correct model of mother board for the upgrade so
    I don't think it's that. But I was stupid enough not to back up my BIOS
    before upgrading. How do I fix this? What are my options? Thanks

    flippereight, Dec 16, 2005

  2. Try resetting by removing the CMOS battery.

    If that doesn't help you are pretty much out of luck unless the BIOS
    EEPROM is removable and you know someone who has the identical MB. In
    that case you could try this:

    http://www.wimsbios.com/
    9. How can you recover a corrupt BIOS ?

    Solution 1: Boot-block BIOS

    Modern motherboards have a boot-block BIOS. This is small area of the
    BIOS that doesn't get overwritten when you flash a BIOS. The boot-block
    BIOS only has support for the floppy drive. If you have a PCI video card
    you won't see anything on the screen because the boot-block BIOS only
    supports an ISA videocard.

    Award: The boot-block BIOS will execute an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on a
    bootable diskette. Copy an Award flasher & the correct BIOS *.bin file
    on the floppy and execute it automaticly by putting awdflash *.bin in
    the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

    AMI: The AMI boot-block BIOS will look for a AMIBOOT.ROM file on a
    diskette. Copy and rename the correct BIOS file on the floppy and power
    up the PC. The floppy doesn't need to be bootable. You will see the PC
    read the floppy, after about 4 minutes you will hear 4 beeps, this means
    the transfer is done. Reboot the PC and modify the CMOS for your
    configuration.

    Solution 2: Get a new BIOS chip

    Contact your motherboard manufacturer to see if they sell BIOS chips.
    Some motherboard manufacturers send them for free.
    Contact a company that sells pre-flashed chips, like Unicore Software,
    FlashBIOS.ORG or BadFlash

    Solution 3: Hot-swapping

    Note: I'm not responsible for any damage this method may do to you or
    your computer !

    Replace the corrupt chip by a working one. The best option is to take
    the working BIOS chip from a motherboard which has the same chipset
    although that's not absolutely necessary. It just has to give you a
    chance of booting into DOS. Before pulling the working BIOS chip out of
    it's original motherboard, set the System BIOS cacheable option in the
    BIOS to enabled.
    After you have put the working BIOS in the motherboard with the corrupt
    BIOS boot the system to DOS (with a floppy or HD).
    Now replace (while the computer is powered on) the working BIOS chip
    with the corrupt one.
    Flash an appropriate BIOS to the corrupt BIOS and reboot.

    Note: Use a flasher from MRBIOS. They are known to work best. You can
    find them at ftp://ftp.mrbios.com

    Travis Jordan, Dec 16, 2005

  3. Forgot to mention...if the Award flasher won't work, try Uniflash (use
    the Award bin file).

    http://www.uniflash.org/

    Travis Jordan, Dec 16, 2005
  4. flippereight