Updated USB 2.0 Drivers for Win 2K (P4C800-E) ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Steve Sr., Dec 7, 2003.

  1. Steve Sr.

    Steve Sr. Guest

    I just wasted the entire evening on a wild goose chase looking for
    just the updated USB 2.0 drivers for this board.

    What comes on the Asus CD is really intended for the ICH4 chipset and
    not the ICH5 that is actually on this MB. I suspect that using this
    would cause a performance issue. There is a big disclaimer file on the
    CD with this driver.

    The intel site says the updated driver is available from Microsoft
    only. I had no luck finding it on their site as a stand alone. It is
    included as part of SP4 but I don't really want to install SP4 or
    download the SP4 file (about 120 megs) on a dial-up!

    Anybody know where to get just this driver or could extract it and
    post just the USB 2.0 driver somewhere?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steve Sr., Dec 7, 2003

  2. Steve Sr.

    Mistoffolees Guest

    AFAIK, USB 2.0 support with Windows 2000 is available only from the
    recent SP4 update. No issues so far with updating Windows 2000 to SP4
    on our P4C800 units, including P4C800E's.

    Mistoffolees, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Steve Sr.

    Ayoub Guest

    I'm not sure they haven't pulled the stand alone usb2 driver since sp4 came
    out.
    you could try this method which worked before sp4 became available:

    go to the windows update site.
    in the left pane,highlight personalise windows update then check the box for
    display the link to the windows update catlog>click save settings
    in the left pane highlight windows update catlog>find hardware drive
    updates.
    manufacturer is microsoft. under words type usb >search
    you only want the usb driver version 5.1.2600.0 108kb

    cheers

    Ayoub, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Steve Sr.

    Steve Sr. Guest

    I saaw several notes refering to the Windows Update site.
    unfortunately this new PC is not yet connected to the net. The one
    that is is currently running 95SR2! Needless to say MS won't help me
    find a USB 2 driver for Win 95!

    I also tried looking using the search function but after multiple
    dead-ends I finally just gave up and went to bed. If it is still there
    I hope someone could provide a direct link or path.

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steve Sr., Dec 7, 2003
  5. Steve Sr.

    Ayoub Guest

    Ayoub, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Steve Sr.

    Steve Sr. Guest

    Ayoub,

    Thanks but I don't think this is the right driver. It's even older
    than the one on tha Asus CD disk. The one I'm looking for supports the
    new Intel ICH5R controller chip. This chip wasn't even born when that
    other driver was released.

    Thanks for trying.

    Steve

    BTW, the link took me to the page but when I hit "download" it brought
    me back to the generic opening page for Windows Update. If I would
    have gotten the file and looked inside it to be sure.

    Steve Sr., Dec 8, 2003
  7. Steve Sr.

    Bigguy Guest