Updating to latest HPT 374 BIOS using cbrom

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Guest, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am being cautious, because I want to update my AWARD BIOS to include the
    latest HPT 374 Raid controller BIOS, so I thought I would ask here first before
    I go ahead and do so. I am generally trying to follow the instructions on the
    Sudhian Media web page at http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=14&fcid=17#47.

    I have an AT7 and have already flashed my Award BIOS successfully with the
    latest from Abit, called AT7_ED.bin. This BIOS has the embedded HPT 374 Raid
    controller BIOS version 1.22. Since then the Raid controller BIOS has been
    updated to version 3.03 but there is no new AT7 Award BIOS as this is an older mobo.

    I have the program called cbrom, which is supposed to combine, I believe, my
    Award BIOS with other HPT 374 BIOS. The Award BIOS, which already has the HPT
    374 BIOS version 1.22 embedded in it is called AT7_ED.bin and the latest HPT 374
    BIOS which I have downloaded from Abit, version 3.03, is called 374v303.p8e. I
    boot into a DOS prompt and I used cbrom this way:

    cbrom at7_ed.bin /PCI 374v303.p8e

    This appeared to work fine. My understanding is that a new at7_ed.bin has been
    created which is my new Award BIOS, with the version 3.03 HPT 374 BIOS embedded
    instead of the previous version 1.22 version, and that I should now proceed to
    flash my Award BIOS with this updated file, after which I turn off and
    disconnect the computer, clear my CMOS, connect my computer, boot up, and go
    into my Award BIOS setting the right parameters and then saving the BIOS which
    reboots. Is this the correct sequence or have a missed anything here ? I am
    being cautious because I do not want to flash a bad BIOS and then be dead in the
    water.

    Guest, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Guest

    TomG Guest

    you appear to have it correct. I have used CBROM numerous times to create
    bios sets for folks and you are using the correct command line. I will say
    that every one of my computers has the infamous Bios Savior installed so
    that if a flash ever does go south, I can switch over to the other, self
    contained bios and get booted and reflash the first bios.

    one can make the argument that it is unnecessary but I can say that I have
    read of countless people posting here in this group that have been in the
    need of a new bios chip or trying a hotflash with another board to get back
    on their feet...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    Due to a rat in da hood,
    no longer running servers on Cox...

    (even though someone turned me in,
    what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

    TomG, Aug 17, 2005

  3. Guest

    0_Qed Guest

    Kinda like the ?argument? that backup isnt necessary ...

    Everyone needs the good-old '123' handy to 'hand' ...
    a 'BS", Caig, & KY_Gel.

    Qed.

    TomG, Aug 17, 2005