    in the case, my CPU is just running hot. Any ideas what is causing
    this?

    jds

    Robert Paulsen, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Robert Paulsen

    J.Clarke Guest

    Well, let's see, the 2800+ consumes 57-68 watts, the 1800 consumes
    46-51. Think that might have something to do with it?

    J.Clarke, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Robert Paulsen

    Hank Guest

    It's gotta be that the heatsink didn't get seated correctly when you
    installed it and it's not making full contact with the core. That's the only
    thing that could explain those way out of whack temps. They are easy to put
    on wrong with out even really trying very hard. Your going to have to take
    it off and reinstall it making sure your put it back on the right direction
    so that the sink isn't sitting on the shoulder of the cpu socket. They only
    go on one way.

    Hank

    Hank, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Robert Paulsen

    Wes Newell Guest

    45C for a case temp is way too high unless ambient is about 40C. The new
    cpu should run cooler than the old one if it was a Palomino core 1800.
    Sounds like you didn't get the hsf mounted right or it's just not a very
    good one. Oh, V7, fair.

    Wes Newell, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Umm....no.

    Robert Paulsen, Dec 18, 2003
  6. The clip on the V7 seems pretty tight, and I know orientation-wise the
    thing is on right...but I'll take it off and re-seat it. I can't
    think of any other reasons for such a disparity.

    Ambient air temps in my office are at most 30C...probably closer to
    25C. Is there a good rule of thumb for what the difference between
    ambient and case temps should be? I've got a full tower case, an
    intake and two smaller exhaust fans...it seems to get decent airflow,
    but I guess it is pretty crowded in there. I don't know what else to
    do to bring the case temps down.

    RP

    Robert Paulsen, Dec 18, 2003
  7. Robert Paulsen

    J.Clarke Guest

    Umm, I see. So more power does not equal higher temperatures? Do tell.

    J.Clarke, Dec 18, 2003
  8. More power certainly does not EQUAL higher temperatures...its not that
    simple. The Barton CPUs have I think a 20% larger die surface area, so
    while they do use more power they do not run as hot as the Palominos,
    clock for clock. Now, the 2800+ is clocked higher than the 1800+, yes.
    Enough higher to offset the surface area advantage? I don't know, but
    certainly there should not be a 13C-15C increase in processor temps
    between the two, which you seem to suggest is normal. Its NOT normal,
    because if you look at most everyone's reported temps, they don't do
    this.

    In case anyone cares, I did as a few others suggested and re-seated
    the HSF. I also cleaned off the CPU and HSF base and re-applied the
    Arctic Silver 3, trying to follow their recommended method. I did not
    notice any contaminants or obvious problems upon removal, but I am now
    seeing CPU temps of 64C, and they've been solid there for a while now.
    Its still a bit hotter than I like, but its a lot better than 70C-74C.

    RP

    Robert Paulsen, Dec 18, 2003
  9. Robert Paulsen

    Wes Newell Guest

    I consider it bad if case is 10C over ambient temp. Mine are about 5C or
    less over room temp. 2 case fans + PSU fan. The way most cases are made
    these days there's so much case metal between the fan and the outside air
    that it's hard for them to function properly. I take a pair of cutters to
    the case material blocking the airflow and cut it out. And if the plastic
    front is blocked, I either cut it out if there's a way to get more air
    through it, or drill a bunch of 1/4 inch holes in the plastic. Just these
    simple things more than doubled the fan airflow and also made the fans
    quieter since they weren't sucking for air. Don't know what to tell you
    about the cpu running so hot, but there's something wrong if it's running
    hotter than the old one. When you changed cpu's you did reset vcore to
    proper setting I assume or at least kept it within reason.

    Wes Newell, Dec 18, 2003
  10. Robert Paulsen

    Hank Guest

    Well that is better but still high. Whats you case ambient and case temps
    like now?

    Hank

    Hank, Dec 18, 2003
  11. They were in the upper 30s last night, but by now case temps are
    around 42C and my CPU temp is at 70C. *&^%%!

    RP

    Robert Paulsen, Dec 19, 2003
  12. I wonder if between my exhaust fans and intake fan I've got some
    tricky air flow problem? I think I'll experiment with the fans. That
    still doesn't explain the temp differences I'm seeing, but it sounds
    like my case temps are a lot worse than some of you are seeing.

    My motherboard (Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2) is setting Vcore to 1.70 rather
    than the AMD-specified 1.65. I'm not sure why actually...hmmm.

    RP

    Robert Paulsen, Dec 19, 2003
  13. Robert Paulsen

    matthew utt Guest

    more power does make higher temps
    when i raise my cpu voltage .1 volts i get about a 20 degree F raise. there
    is somthing wrong if i am rinning my 2700+ which is 2.176 GHz at the
    equivilant of a 3200+ which is 2.509 GHz and my temp raises from 100 F at
    2.167GHz to 115 at 2.509 GHz
    all mind you that is on stock cooling
    you have problems my friend
    sry

    matthew utt, Dec 20, 2003
  14. Robert Paulsen

    777ouse Guest

    Just a thought here guys ... Have you upgraded the bios??? just to make
    sure there isn't a problem with the temp reporting?? again just a thought

    777ouse, Dec 22, 2003
  15. It would appear that you found your problem. Go into your bios, change your
    voltage setting, and it should cool down if your heatsink is a good one and
    properly installed.

    Paul J. Veres, Jan 1, 2004
  16. I did have a bord like him a GA7-N400 Pro 2 .
    But the problem is you can't adjust the CPU Voltage in the bios .
    It stays on 1.83 Volt in easytune4 program.
    I sold this bord 2 weeks later .Went back to MSI .

    jeff

    kim & jeffrey, Jan 6, 2004
  17. Robert Paulsen

    Mike Guest

    I had an ECS K7S5A board with just an Athlon XP 1800+ and even with a larger
    HS and an 80mm Delta Fan, I couldn't keep the temp below 50c no matter what
    I did. I never found out if it was just reporting wrong, but no matter whay
    program I used to measure gave me the same temps. I just gave up and
    upgraded.

    --
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    MSI K8T NEO FIS2R

    Try to beat that with the latest Intel crap!

    Mike, Feb 17, 2004