    I'll start with just installing the mb/video/hdd and add the other
    stuff after I confirm Windows is OK.

    TIA.

    Brian Hillegass, Nov 12, 2005

  2. Unless you have hard disks that are considerably more modern than this
    board, and/or are utilising the server aspects of it pretty heavily, you
    will probably find that merely swapping from an ATA33 to an ATA100 disk
    controller will not net you a significant increase in performance.
    Probably, but prepare for the possibilty of doing a repair install anyway.
    If you want to do a straight swap from old board to new, you will initially
    need to connect your boot disk to the BX133's ATA33 controller. Then when
    Windows is up and running you can install the HPT370 driver and then swap
    the disk over.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 12, 2005

  3. Yes, it is a modern drive - 160gb to be exact. And it is used primarily
    as a file server so, if nothing else, large file transfers over the
    network will see an increase.

    I planned on doing just as you suggested - start by booting from the
    ATA33 controller, install the HPT370 driver and make sure everything is
    OK in Windows, then move the hdd.

    I'll have the install CD handy in case a repair is necessary. In fact,
    to save myself time, I'll just install the recovery console as a boot
    option.

    Brian Hillegass, Nov 13, 2005
  4. Brian Hillegass

    Fishface Guest

    What is the speed of your network? If you are at 100Mbps, that would
    be your file transfer bottleneck, correct?

    I do not believe that the onboard ATA-33 controller can even handle a
    160GB drive.

    I once did some informal testing of the ATA-33 controller vs. a Promise
    TX-2 (not RAID, ATA-100) on an 80GB Maxtor and XP Home loaded
    18 seconds faster. That was about a 25% difference on that hardware.

    Also, be aware that you may be trading for a board built with defective
    capacitors...

    Fishface, Nov 13, 2005