    This will save us lots of time to build new images amount
    different brand of TabletPCs during this evaluation
    process? Thanks !

    Richard Hsu, Aug 27, 2003

  2. I would never do that even from one model of motherboard to the next
    within the same brand, let alone from a desktop PC of one brand to a
    Tablet PC of another brand. I have learned from cleaning up far too many
    other people's PC's that this will always come back to bite you later.
    There are just too many old .DLL's and drivers left laying around. I
    don't care what Microsoft says, the old drivers are NOT completely
    removed. And removing them in device manager doesn't completely do it
    either.

    You should plan to build a whole new set of images. If you use a
    deployment tool that applies only the changes and you have DEPLOYMENT
    packages prepared then you should be able to use them. In other words, if
    you have deployment packages prepared to apply your standard changes to
    Windows settings or to install something like MS Office then they will
    probably work. But trying to blast a complete hard disk image onto an
    entirely new machine and expecting Plug-n-Pray to take care of the
    differences is just asking too much.

    Grant Robertson, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Victoria Hamilton [MS], Sep 3, 2003