Upgrade help needed! Compaq AP500 Workstation

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Mark, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I've got a Compaq AP500 professional Workstation with the following
    specs:

    Dual PII 400Mhz processors
    512MB RAM
    Two 4.3GB Wide-Ultra SCSI-3 drives
    ELSA Synergy II AGP video + onboard video
    32X IDE CD-ROM
    325 watt Compaq proprietary power supply (1 year old)
    One honkin' huge, heavy tower case

    I'm wondering what, if any, upgrade options exist for this system. I
    was thinking of turning it into a Linux media server, but from what
    I've found so far it would be a lot cheaper to abandon this system
    (either part it out or toss it off a cliff) and start with a more
    modern machine.

    Any good options out there to rescue this system?

    Mark, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Mark

    Ben Myers Guest

    The AP500 is pretty proprietary. Upgrades? Bigger SCSI drives. Dual 550MHz
    or 600MHz Pentium 3 processors, which MUST be the ones designed to operate at
    2.0v with 100MHz front side bus. More memory. That's about it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Mark

    HH Guest

    ....in other words Katmai PIIIs, the ones with the half-speed 512K L2 cache.
    A pair of 600s would speed up the old workstation nicely.
    HH

    HH, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Mark

    trashacct2 Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. After running the numbers I've decided it
    will cost more to upgrade this system than the final resulting system
    would be worth to me. Time to find a buyer...

    trashacct2, Nov 1, 2004