    one off a test board using a screwdriver, but it was a near thing that
    no damage was done to the board.
    epbrown

    E Brown, Dec 30, 2005

  2. E Brown

    epbrown Guest

    Hmm, I'd thought this was clear epoxy but now see it's soldered to the
    board. I'll try my hot air gun and a soldering iron and report back.

    epbrown, Dec 30, 2005

  3. STOP

    Your chances of destroying the unit are 99%+ your chances of doing this
    successfully are less than 1%.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 31, 2005
  4. E Brown

    epbrown Guest

    Because...?

    epbrown, Dec 31, 2005
  5. E Brown

    J. Clarke Guest

    If you go ahead with this you will find out. If you don't care about the
    machine ever working again, go for it--I guarantee that you'll find it an
    educational experience. If it's important that the machine work, then find
    something expendable to practice on.

    J. Clarke, Dec 31, 2005
  6. E Brown

    E Brown Guest

    Sheesh - they used to talk about a can-do spirit in this country.
    Now all I hear is the computer-geek equivalent of "You shoot your eye
    out!" Everything I've read says it's difficult, some of what I've read
    says it isn't worth the effort, NOTHING I've read says it's
    impossible. Not even your replies say that.
    In my 10 years on the group, I don't *think* I've come across as
    either incompetent or insane, so how about a smidgen of credit? I'm
    attempting this on the working spare motherboard I took from my parts
    machine, kept in case in case something happens to my main T-note
    *and* my spare T-note.
    And crazy stupe that I am, I bought a replacement system board from
    Hammerhead Tech on eBay before I started the project.
    They appear to use a low-temp solder for mounting them, since my
    hot air gun got the old CPU off in minutes. Next is cleaning off the
    old solder. If it works, cool. If it doesn't, well, it got me away
    from the tv for a bit.

    E Brown, Jan 1, 2006
  7. If this is a BGA chip, it's not possible without specialized BGA
    soldering and desoldering tools that will cost tens of thousands of
    dollars. That's the problem, really: The assembly technology used in
    modern equipment cannot be repaired without extremely exotic tools. If
    you know what BGA is, you would understand why. It took K&S (Kulicke &
    Soffa), which manufactures this stuff, years to get their "turbo ball
    bonder" to work right. You are looking at big bucks, serious money.
    This equipment is hundreds of thousands of dollars new, and even older
    model used ones are tens of thousands of dollars. And there is ZERO
    chance of doing without such equipment. Getting a part off is possible
    with a heat gun (although heat levels that damage the old part or the
    board are a concern), but you have no chance of getting a new part
    correctly installed.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 1, 2006