Upgrade to better AGP card or better CPU+motherboard

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Doug, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. Doug

    Doug Guest

    I presently have the following system:

    nf7s v2.0
    XP-Mobile @ 2530
    2GB DDR 400 (running at 211Mhz 2-3-2-10 and command rate/command-per-clock
    on [I think, whatever's slowest])
    9800 Pro (423 core 376 memory)

    I'm thinking that instead of getting a faster AGP card it would be better to
    buy a motherboard and CPU. My reasoning is that if I can get an AGP/PCIe
    motherboard (AMD Athlon 64 of some type) and can run my memory at a faster
    speed games will run faster for two reasons:

    a. I have a faster CPU
    b. the AGP DIME memory will be faster than on my beat-up NF7s v2.0

    Is the above just wishful thinking? Will any change in framerate be
    noticeable? I know of only one motherboard that is AGP/PCIe:
    ULi M1695 PCIe/AGP Socket 939 for Athlon 64. Anandtech has an article about
    it.

    Doug, Nov 10, 2005

  2. Doug

    Bill Guest

    I've no experience with the ULI M1695 motherboards, but if your
    getting a new video card anyway, get a PCI-e video card and nf4 board.
    BTW, a 9800 PRO is still a decent card. What are you playing that your
    frame rates are suffering?

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Doug

    tod Guest

    Is that XP-Mobile running at 2530mhz or Performance Rated (PR) 2530?

    tod, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Doug

    Doug Guest

    It's running at 2532 (211*12) @ 1.875 V Vcore. I know someone who managed to
    gat an XP-mobile athlon to over 2600Mhz stable.

    --
    there is no .sig

    Doug, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Thanks for the response Bill. Chronicles of Riddick and Doom3 exhibit
    stuttering w/2xAA[temporal AA] and 800x600 resolution. Doom3 is the worst.
    When I first fire up Doom3 everything is fine then after playing for maybe
    10 to 15 minutes the stuttering begins and doesn't go away unless I quit the
    game and restart. Chronicles of Riddick is at least playable as was the FEAR
    demo.

    Unfortunately Bill there's no way I can afford a new video card (i.e. one
    that is better than my 9800 Pro) and a new motherboard/CPU/heatsink.

    Doug, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Doug

    tod Guest

    I would say to hold off until you are ready to do a upgrade with both
    motherboard and graphics card.

    tod, Nov 11, 2005
  7. Doug

    Scotter Guest

    Hey Doug -

    Sounds like you have a certain amount of money to where you can either buy a
    new vid card or you can buy MB+CPU.

    Sounds like the other factor is your current games are not very fun to play
    with your current setup.

    Based on these factors, I think you came up with the best idea, which is to
    buy a socket 939 MB that supports both PCI-e and AGP so you don't have to
    upgrade your vid card right away but right away you WILL see some speed
    increase from swapping out a 64bit AMD-whatever for that XP-mobile you are
    currently using.

    How much increase in performance will you see? Probably not much because
    those games are more GPU intensive than CPU intensive BUT CPU does matter a
    lot more than most people think! But you are really taking no risk by going
    this path because you are buying socket 939 with PCI-e capability and can
    feel free then to buy a badass PCI-e video card whenever you next have the
    money.

    You'd *possibly* see a bit more perf gain if you kept your current MB+CPU
    and bought a faster AGP card but then, unless you go top of the line, you
    would be buying something that is pretty much already obsolete. And even IF
    you bought something like a 6800 ultra AGP to run in your current system,
    you'd probably never see it's full use because of your CPU limitation.

    Scotter, Nov 11, 2005
  8. Doug

    Bill Guest

    Sounds like maybe a heat problem. First thing I'd do is clean
    out all the crud buildup in the machine. Fans, filters, heatsinks,
    processor, memory, everything. Then I'd make sure that the processor
    is not being throttled by heat related bios settings.

    Then I'd ensure that there were no software settings throttling the
    processor. Then I'd make sure that no software programs were starting
    up/running in the background while I was playing. Try going to
    taskmaster and shutting down every program that you don't need to run
    the game before you start playing.

    Is this happening in single player mode or while playing on-line?

    If none of this helps, and you're cash strapped, I'd go with the
    Asrock 939 Dual Sata < on sale this weekend at newegg for $66.00 >
    and the fastest AMD Venice core CPU I could afford, then maybe over
    clock the cpu a bit. An Asrock and 3500+ should set you back less than
    $300, which is around what you'd have to spend for a graphics card.

    Make sure your power supply is able to support the new hardware. There
    is a chance it could be causing your present problem if it's running
    hot due to dirt buildup or starting to fail.

    Then you could save for when the PCI-E 7800 GTXs become cheap.

    Bill

    Bill, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Scotter, I have heard from one guy who had a Athlon XP 3200+ and upgraded
    his 9800Pro to a 6800GT he said the difference was between night and day. He
    doubled his framerates at the same resolution, AA and AF in Doom3. I see
    what you're saying though, even a 6800ultra is only midrange now and that,
    or an X850XT PE would be the best I could get at this point.

    On the downside, I'd lose my Nvidia soundstorm if I upgrade my motherboard,
    I wonder if the Audigy Gamer I've got would be just as good?

    --
    there is no .sig

    Doug, Nov 12, 2005
  10. Doug

    Alceryes Guest

    Is the above just wishful thinking? Will any change in framerate be

    Wishful thinking unless you play your games at 800x600 with all eye candy
    off. There was an extensive review/test done a while ago (anyone know the
    link?) that showed MB/CPU upgrade VS. video card upgrade. The long and the
    short of it was that the higher the resolution and eye candy you use, the
    more the frame rate becomes video card limited. Sure you may get an average
    5-7 fps boost from better memory handling and beefier CPU but putting that
    same amount of money into a better video card could net you a 20+ fps boost.

    I am actually in the same boat as you - NF7-S v2.0, XP 2800+ (OC'd to
    3200+), 9700Pro, etc...
    I don't want to drop a nice chunk of change on an AGP video card when the
    interface is singing it's 'swan song'.
    The reviews on the ULi M1695 are mixed. IOW, the ONLY reason you would want
    to get it is because of the AGP and PCIe interface. If it were me and I had
    the money/inclination to make my purchases I get a good S939 MB, cheap
    AMD64, and probably the new 6800GS video card.
    --

    "I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
    - Alceryes

    Alceryes, Nov 12, 2005
  11. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Wierdly enough Bill, I just upgraded to the latest Catalyst for my 9800 Pro
    (Catalyst 5.11), my Doom3 problems have pretty much vanished. I can't see
    spending money on an AGP only motherboard at this point. It's got to be
    SLI/AGP.

    --
    there is no .sig

    Doug, Nov 13, 2005