    So what do u all say shud i upgrade it or not?

    Regards,
    Laurens

    Amsterdamage, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Amsterdamage

    Mangyrat Guest

    save you $ and wait till you can upgrade to nforce 2 board new ram and cpu

    Mangyrat, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Amsterdamage

    Mangyrat, Sep 16, 2003
  4. Amsterdamage

    Ben Pope Guest

    Why? The cpu will give him a boost, and he can use it in a new system.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Sep 16, 2003
  5. Amsterdamage

    Amsterdamage Guest

    yea thats what I thought
    I dont have money to buy a cpu and mobo and ram at the same time so if I buy
    a new cpu atleast I can use it
    I'll buy a mobo and ram later then
    but how much of a boost will it give

    Amsterdamage, Sep 16, 2003
  6. Amsterdamage

    Ben Pope Guest

    Going from 133MHz*10 to 133MHz*15 gives you 50% more raw computing power.
    It depends on what you're doing but for most games your CPU is probably the
    bottleneck as your graphics card is pretty good.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Sep 16, 2003
  7. Amsterdamage

    Amsterdamage Guest

    cool thx :)
    I only have 15 inch monitor so thats why I bought the 64mb radeon so I wont
    be running high res anyway
    whats best to buy do u think?
    Athlon xp 2200 for ? 69
    Athlon xp 2400 for ? 89
    Athlon xp 2600(266fsb) for ? 109
    I thought i shud buy the 2400 but is it worth the 20 extra euro's(but... the
    2400 is for sale at a local shop the others prob need shipping)
    I think im gonna save for 2400 :)
    and prob upgrade my mobo later(will sell my old system with xp1500 to my
    sister then :) )

    btw even if it doesnt boost my fps much it will boost decoding divx and
    stuff like that much right?

    Thanks

    Amsterdamage, Sep 16, 2003
  8. Amsterdamage

    Ben Pope Guest

    I bought the Barton 2500+.

    If they are all the same core (Thoroughbred B), I'd get the 2200+.
    Yeah. But I could decode DivX in real time on a P3 450 so I don't know what
    you'd need more DivX decoding speed for.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Sep 16, 2003
  9. I would go for the 2500 Barton, it's as cheap as 2400 and overclocks nicely
    thank you very much.

    Lester Piglet, Sep 16, 2003
  10. Amsterdamage

    Amsterdamage Guest

    I have no idea wich core they are on the shop it just says athlon xp 2200
    and 2400, do they have more l2 cache or what(prob can find this out easily)

    yea but sometimes I decode like 5 dvd's to divx using a batch so it wud be
    finished in 1 night
    btw u cant realtime decode divx on p3 450 believe me on this sys i get
    20fps...

    anyways I hafta save some money first and then buy it and maybe then the
    prices will be diferent :)

    Amsterdamage, Sep 16, 2003
  11. Amsterdamage

    Ben Pope Guest

    The core type can only be ascertained from the numbers on the chip.
    Thats called ENcoding to DivX
    I bloody can DEcode DivX in realtime on my P3 450.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Sep 16, 2003
  12. Amsterdamage

    Amsterdamage Guest

    wich wud that be:
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+(1,83ghz, 512KB) -96 euro
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+(1,83ghz, boxed) -104
    I guess the first one?
    is it 266fsb?
    btw I wonder why is it only 1,83ghz the 2400 is 2ghz

    Amsterdamage, Sep 16, 2003
  13. Amsterdamage

    Amsterdamage Guest

    so I cant go to the shop and say gimme one xp 2200 Thoroughbred B ?
    lol whoops encoding i ment lol

    Amsterdamage, Sep 16, 2003
  14. It has 512k level 2 cache as opposed to the 256k of the T'breds, which means
    it works quicker. :eek:)
    Boxed means it comes with heatsink and fan.

    Lester Piglet, Sep 17, 2003
  15. Amsterdamage

    Ben Pope Guest

    You probably can... depends on the shop.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Sep 17, 2003
  16. Amsterdamage

    Amsterdamage Guest