    to a domain. I have an enterprise license available to me which means I do
    not have to worry about activation.

    ~Alan

    ~~Alan~~, Nov 6, 2003

  2. ~~Alan~~

    tonys Guest

    yes...start up your computer...then put the windows xp pro cd in.....it
    should start the windowx xp setup file.....just pick UPgrade...

    it will overwrite xp home...and leave your existing programs in fine working
    order...then go online and download all the updates

    tonys, Nov 6, 2003

  3. The technically correct answer is yes should be able to without losing your
    present data. The realistic answer is backup first, you never know what may
    happen with an upgrade.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Hi Allan:

    What the others stated plus...

    If there are 'bugs" causing problems in the OS, the upgrade may amplify the problems.

    In that case it might be batter to backup you pertinent user data. Strip the PC. Install
    the new OS. Install your particular applications then restore the data you backed up.
    While this will be more work, you will have a more stable platform.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Nov 6, 2003
  5. ~~Alan~~

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    So I thought as well.

    Just yesterday, I attempted a (Dell) WinMe to (retail) WinXP Pro upgrade -
    out of pure laziness. I didn't want to wipe (my wife's) hard disk and
    reinstall all of the apps.. Prior to this attempt, I mirrored her entire
    WinMe partition to a backup hard disk - just in case of meltdown.

    While the XP disk identified itself as an upgrade disk during early
    installation, I smelled interest and problems when:

    1) it did not detect the WinMe installation on the hard disk (mirrored drive
    disconnected to be extra safe), and prompted for previous OS CD.
    2) it prompted normally for a "r"/repair install or complete install
    3) it offered normal formatting options, conversion to NTFS, or to leave the
    file system the same (which I chose)
    4) it prompted that it was basically going to deltree Windows (delete the
    existing Windows folder), even though earlier it did not detect such a
    folder.

    Obviously, I wound up with, as I suspected, a new WinXP Pro install with no
    trace of previous programs or settings. Since I was in no rush, I find it
    odd that I either missed the UPgrade option referenced in the above post.

    Perhaps I simply screwed something up due to inattentiveness. In any event,
    I may mirror the extra drive again when I have time and have another go at
    it.

    If anyone suspects what I missed, I'd be glad to read it. With a mirrored
    backup, I can afford the risk of a true upgrade attempt.

    Apologies if this moves the thread to a more general XP Pro upgrade
    discussion....

    Thanks,

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 6, 2003
  6. ~~Alan~~

    Bob Levine Guest

    <SNIP>

    Not a good move. Personally I don't even think an XP home to XP pro
    upgrade is a good idea. Going from any Win 9x, NT or 2K installation to
    XP should always be done as a clean install.

    It's actually easier in the long run and Dell gives you the full
    installation CD so there's really no reason other than the laziness that
    you already admitted to for doing it. A clean install will be as stable
    as you can get and in fact, it's the first thing I do with a new
    computer. I don't even trust the image installs that OEMs do.

    Just my $0.02.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Nov 6, 2003
  7. ~~Alan~~

    S.Lewis Guest

    Fair observation, Bob. I admitted as much, and I am clearly in your corner
    (and others in here as well) of a clean install for performance and
    stability. No disagreements there at all. If this had been someone else's
    system, and I hadn't a mirrored backup, I'd have just blown it away and
    started fresh. For the record, the WinMe install was not the Dell image. I
    blew it away long ago, and the current install is fine - so far as any WinMe
    install can be.

    No, my main curiosity was the fact that the WinXP Pro (retail) disc didn't
    appear to offer an upgrade install versus a clean install - since it didn't
    detect WinMe on the disk.

    Thought I might've dropped the ball somewhere.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 6, 2003
  8. ~~Alan~~

    Bob Levine Guest

    Interesting, but to be honest, I never tried to upgrade an installed
    O/S, I just wait for the installer to ask for the CD.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Nov 6, 2003
  9. ~~Alan~~

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Agreed. Which was another reason I tried it. I've always performed the clean
    install. I wanted to see how the other half lives for a moment.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 6, 2003
  10. ~~Alan~~

    ~~Alan~~ Guest

    So getting back to my original question, if I want to perform a clean
    install on my 1100, can I substitute the XP-Pro CD for Dell's OEM XP-Home
    and finish up with the specific drivers CD from Dell?

    ~alan

    ~~Alan~~, Nov 6, 2003
  11. ~~Alan~~

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Yes, as long as you have the XP Pro CD key.

    S.Lewis, Nov 6, 2003
  12. ~~Alan~~

    Tim Miser Guest

    Stew, sounds like you were using an oem xp pro disc instead of the retail
    version. So are you sure it is a retail version. (It was bought and
    packaged in the blue retail box?)

    -Tim

    Tim Miser, Nov 7, 2003
  13. ~~Alan~~

    S.Lewis Guest

    Tim,

    Yup. It a retail (Academic price) Win XP Pro Upgrade CD. Blue box, from
    newegg.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 9, 2003