Upgraded AMD-K6-2 380 to 533, need jumper settings

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Road_Man, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. Road_Man

    Road_Man Guest

    I have a Compaq Presario 5225 computer. It came with an AMD K6-2 38
    processor. Recently I replaced the processor with an AMD K6-2 53
    processor I obtained off of EBay. It works except that the compute
    still thinks it is a 380.

    From reading other posts, it seems I need to change the jumpe
    settings. I'll need some help in doing this, as I have no idea wha
    changes to make. The user manual from Compaq has no info about jumpe
    settings. In fact, they say in the manual that if you want to upgrad
    the processor, an authorized Compaq service technician should do it.
    They want to keep their customers dumb and happy, I suppose. There wa
    also no sticker or label inside the case which provided jumpe
    information.

    I downloaded and ran the Everest Home Edition, and here is what i
    tells me:

    CPU Type: AMD K6-2, 380 MHz (4 x 95)
    Motherboard Name: Compaq Compaq PC
    Chipset: VIA VT82C598 Apollo MVP3

    In the DMI section under Processor, it tells me this:

    Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
    Version: AMD-K6-2
    External Clock: 100 MHz
    Maximum Clock: 550 MHz
    Current Clock: 380 MHz

    On the outside of both the old 380 chip and the new 533 chip wa
    stamped the following:

    2.2V Core / 3.3 V I/O

    But Everest tells me that the Core Voltage on the new chip is 2.2-2.
    V.

    The 380 chip has the letters AFR after the AMD-K6-2/380, but the 53
    chip has the letters AFX after the AMD-K6-2/533. The info on EBa
    indicated that the chip could run at 550 MHz even though it is marke
    533 MHz.

    I popped the case open and examined the motherboard for the jumpers
    I'll attempt to describe the layout here. When the side of the compute
    case containing the motherboard is removed and laid flat, you ar
    looking at the board from top to bottom. From this view, the jumper
    next to the Socket 7 CPU are on the right side.

    On the lower right side of the socket, there are two jumpers with thre
    pins each, and they run parallel to the CPU socket. The innermost jumpe
    (closest to the CPU) is labeled JCK2. The one immediately to its righ
    is labeled JCK1. Each jumper has three pins. JCK2 has the bottom tw
    pins jumpered, while JCK1 has the top two pins jumpered.

    Then as we move up and a little more to the right, there is JCK3,
    jumper with only two pins, and it is jumpered. I assume nothing need
    to be done to this one.

    Above it, there is a round cylindral thing sticking out, and then abov
    it there are three more jumpers. These three have only two pins each
    and unlike the others, they run perpendicular to the CPU. They ar
    located at the top right side of the CPU socket. From bottom to top
    and from right to left, they are labeled 1 - 2, JP1 - <blank>, and 5
    6. The bottom jumper (labeled 1 - 2 from right to left) has a jumpe
    pin on it, as does the top jumper (labeled 5 - 6 from right to left)
    But the middle jumper (labeled JP1) is open and unjumpered.

    So my question is what changes do I need to make in order for m
    computer to realize that it now has a 533 CPU in it? And can it run a
    550? The bus is 95 Mhz on the motherboard.

    While I'm at it, I have another question. The CPU fan on top of th
    heat sink is made by Aavid, model AFB0512MA. It also has DC 12 and 0.1
    A printed on it's label. Is this fan sufficient enough to properly coo
    this faster processor? It is the same fan that came with the computer

    Thanks in advance

    Road_Man, Dec 26, 2004

  2. Road_Man

    Ben Myers Guest

    Here is all I can tell you:

    The 380MHz speed is accomplished by 95x4, a 95MHz bus speed and a clock
    multiplier of 4.0.

    The 533MHz speed is accomplished by 95x5.5, a clock multiplier of 5.5.

    There are 8 possible clock multiplier settings for the K6-2. The old original
    K6-2 ranged from 2.0 to 5.5. The new one from 2.5 to 6.0. Either way the
    jumper settings would be the same for a clock mulitplier of 5.5, required by the
    K6-2/533.

    You need to look for a group of three two-pin headers, with only the center
    jumper set, i.e. with a jumper block capping both pins.

    The pins will arranged in a 3x2 grid like this:

    oOo
    oOo

    where the big O's indicate the pair of pins covered by a jumper.

    Now, experiment a bit. Place a jumper block on ONE of the other pair of pins.
    This will give you the desired result of 5.5x and 533MHz speed or it will not.
    If it does, you are done. If not, change the jumper to the other pair of pins.

    If the motherboard is like most Super Socket 7 motherboards, it also has jumpers
    for bus speed, typically 66, 75, 83, 90, 95, and 100Mhz. Generic boards not in
    name brand systems have other jumper settings to overclock the bus speed,
    something you don't want to do.

    Caveats:

    If you find several 3x2 groups of pins, don't do anything until somebody is able
    to tell you which group controls clock multiplier.

    Replace the current heat sink/fan with a new one. If one is not available to
    you, clean thoroughly the one you have now. Use a can of compressed air to do
    so. Yes, a 533MHz CPU consumes roughly 30% more wattage than the 380MHz one,
    and produces about 30% more heat.

    Use thermal paste between CPU and heat sink.

    Clean the interior of the case thoroughly, again using a can of compressed air
    and a soft artist's brush to get into corners. Clean the power supply as well,
    blasting compressed air inside it to shake loose all the dirt.

    That's the best I can do without actually seeing the board and not having any
    helpful documentation, which Compaq probably never provided anyway.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 27, 2004

  3. Road_Man

    JJ Guest

    You are going to love this page. The full settings and jumper layout of the
    5225 board are there.

    http://mobokive.dyndns.org/Archive/... 5xxx/Presario 52xx/5225/5225systemboard.html

    It looks to me that the settings are...

    JCK 3 remains the same which is pins 1-2

    JP 1 which is above the processor and left of JCK 3 is set as follows...

    the jumper for pins 3-4 and 5-6 are the same. Simply remove the jumper for
    1-2 which is currently on. Removing the jumper sets it to off and that
    should do it. The CPU will run at 523 but close enough. And print out that
    page for your future reference.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJ, Dec 27, 2004
  4. Road_Man

    JJ Guest

    Oh and the whole jumper is JP1 not just the one set of pins as you can see
    in the diagram. And the fan should work but you should be able to pick one
    up locally if you feel you need more cooling.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJ, Dec 27, 2004
  5. Road_Man

    Ben Myers Guest

    Interesting. Looks like the Mitac motherboard folks inverted the meaning of the
    CLKMUL jumpers.

    Wow! That's quite a web site of motherboard info! Invaluable. I bookmarked
    it. Thank you... Ben

    Ben Myers, Dec 27, 2004
  6. Road_Man

    HH Guest

    Set JP1, the clock multiplier jumper (Pins 1-2/3-4/5-6) to OFF/OFF/ON. Set
    the bus speed jumper JCK3 toON (jumper pins 1-2). You will also need to set
    JP3 to the correct core voltage setting for the 533 as follows:

    JP3 (CPU core voltage select)

    VCC2H/L# low 2.0 2.1 2.2* 2.3± 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7
    VCC2H/L# high 2.8 2.9 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5
    pins 1-2 off on off on off on off on
    pins 3-4 off off on on off off on on
    pins 5-6 off off off off on on on on

    HH