Upgraded AMD-K6-2 380 to 533, need jumper settings

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Road_Man, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. Road_Man

    Road_Man Guest

    I need to give everyone an update. I had also posted my original quer
    in AMD's forums at www.amd.com in their Older Products Troubleshootin
    forum. Someone there had posted that link to my motherboard diagra
    before it was posted here at computerbanter.com. It is indeed m
    motherboard, although the location of JCK1 and JCK2 is right next t
    the socket on mine, the equivalent of scooting them down a bit in tha
    diagram until they almost touch the corner of the socket. The diagra
    is flipped sideways to the way I described it in my original post.

    Anyway, I removed the jumper header on pins 1-2 of JP1 which rasied th
    CPU clock speed to 523, and I removed the lone jumper header on JCK
    which raised the CPU bus speed from 95 to 100 and the CPU clock spee
    to 550. This was six days ago, and all seems to be working well.

    Now when I run Everest, I get the following:

    Computer: Summary: Motherboard: CPU Type: AMD K6-2 550 MHz (5.5x100)

    Computer: DMI: Processors: AMD-K6-2: Processor Properties:
    Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
    Version: AMD-K6-2
    External Clock: 100 MHz
    Maximum Clock: 550 MHz
    Current Clock: 500 MHz

    In the Overclock section under CPU Speed, it has:

    CPU Clock: 543.xx MHz where the xx changes constantly.
    CPU Multiplier: 5.5
    CPU FSB: 98.xx MHz where the xx changes constantly.
    Memory Bus: 98.xx MHz, and this field always matches the one above i
    (CPU FSB)

    I am aware that this wasn't much of an upgrade considering that m
    computer is six years old. But for a $32 processor on EBay, it wa
    worth experimenting. I want to learn how to do this stuff so that
    can build my own computer supersystem if I choose to do so. If I ha
    fried that processor in my upgrade attempt, it would have been no bi
    loss. Perhaps others who have older Compaq Presario computers wil
    benefit from that motherboard diagram website.

    Thanks again for everyone's help. It is much appreciated.

    Road_Man, Jan 1, 2005