Upgraded from 1GB to 3GB - speed dropped from 400MHz to 320MHz

Discussion in 'Asus' started by linuxlover992000, Nov 17, 2006.

  1. I just upgraded my ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe based system from 1GB to 3GB.

    Initially I had 2x512MB dual-channel PC3200 DDR400 - and I added 2x1GB
    of the same type.

    The memory is recognized in full, but I noticed that it speed dropped
    from 400MHz to 320MHz (reported by the BIOS and also by CPU-Z).

    In fact, CPU-Z reports for all modules the following:

    Freq: 159.9 MHz
    FSB:DRAM 5:4
    CAS# Latency 2.5 clks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay 4 clks
    RAS# Precharge 4 clks
    Cycle Time 7 clks

    What do I have to do in the BIOS to set the memory speed back to
    400MHz?

    Thanks,
    Lynn

    linuxlover992000, Nov 17, 2006

  2. I am running a similar setup with the P5P800 and have slightly different
    settings for the memory. I am using the automatic detection and CPU-Z
    shows the settings as 3.0, 3, 3, and 8. Maybe by adjusting your memory
    settings you can get the speed back up.

    Michael W. Ryder, Nov 17, 2006

  3. OK - problem solved. It turns out the the DRAM Frequency was hidden in
    the AI Overclock Tuner (it was on [Standard] and once I set it to
    [Manual] it revealed a whole new world).

    I ran memtest86 for about 45 minutes and there were 0 errors. I am
    happy. :)

    Lynn

    linuxlover992000, Nov 17, 2006
  4. linuxlover992000

    Paul Guest

    The normal thing to do, is go into the BIOS, set the memory to
    a "Manual" mode, then set the speed to DDR400. If you leave the
    other settings like CAS, Trcd and the like, in "Auto", the BIOS
    will calculate the correct values for the new speed of DDR400
    you selected. So you only have to change the speed setting, as
    a minimum change to the BIOS settings.

    BIOS are also filled with strange code, and there have been
    motherboards, where the BIOS is quite insistent about dropping
    the speed. Some motherboards cannot be influenced in the least,
    about setting the speed. But I hope that isn't the case here.

    CPUZ has a "dump mode", and you can get a table of the SPD contents
    for the four DIMMs via that function. There is an example of the
    dump output here. "Dump Module #1" shows the 256 byte contents of
    the SPD chip on the DIMM. This motherboard has four DIMMs installed,
    so there are four dump tables. By decoding those tables, you can
    see if the factory settings for the DIMM were for operation at
    DDR400 or not. (Sometimes useful, if you think someone switched
    the paper label on an otherwise blank looking DIMM.) Other useful
    information, is the actual part number on the memory chips, but
    with heat spreaders, and the use of UTT (untested memory with
    no part numbers printed on them), it isn't always possible to
    extract any intelligence about the product that way. The SPD
    may be the only (weak) info available about the product.
    Reputable makers, like Crucial and Kingston might not screw
    around, but some of the others may do funny things and leave
    no detectable trace.

    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus/msg/009e437f0aa09951?dmode=source

    If the memory you got, uses 128Mx4 memory chips, Intel datasheets
    typically do not approve the use of such modules. I did discover
    to my shock the other day, that JEDEC does indeed approve of
    modules constructed with those chips. But all the Intel datasheets
    I've ever looked at, only seem to like x8 or x16 chips for
    unbuffered memory DIMMs. It could be that the BIOS choice of
    memory settings, is related to the kind of memory used. That
    would just be a guess on my part.

    So, I hope changing the speed, is all it needs :)

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 17, 2006