Upgraded from OS X 10.1.5 to 10.2.8 and now OS 9 won't boot

Discussion in 'Apple' started by esquivel_rene, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. System: Powermac 9600/300 upgraded with Sonnet PCI G4/400MHz/1MB
    RAM: 448MB
    Disks: 4GB & 18GB
    Parititions: on 13GB: Slice 1 - OS X 4GB, Slice 2 OS 9 4GB, Slice 3
    Userland 9GB

    When I ran OS X 10.1.5 I was able to boot between both OS9.1 and OSX.
    Last week I upgraded to 10.2 and applied the 10.2.8 combo upgrade in
    order to take advantage of performance improvements for Virtual PC
    6.1. That was successful as VPC6.1 now has good performance and is
    adequate for running MS Office.

    Caveat: I can't boot to OS9. System Preferences->Startup Disk allows
    me to select the OS9 System Folder. The system attempts to boot OS9
    and even shows the mac icon but then it resets before it can display
    the 'OS 9.1" logo.

    My only reason for running OS9.1 is to be able to startup Norton
    Systemworks 2.0 and defrag the OSX partitions. The Norton Systemworks
    bootable CD attempts to startup with OS 9.2.1 and that is incompatible
    with the Powermac 9600.

    Any help as to why OS9.1 does not boot up would be helpful. I have
    reset the button near the CPU but that did not correct the problem?
    Should I have customized the 10.2 upgrade for an option that would've
    been more compatible for dual-booting?

    Rene

    esquivel_rene, Dec 4, 2003

  2. esquivel_rene

    matt neuburg Guest

    I would try reinstalling the system (system 9, that is). m.

    matt neuburg, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Problem resolved. Here's what I did:

    Booted from OS 9.1 CD
    Opened up System Folder on the OS9 partition. Opened up control panel
    extensions folder. Ran "startup disk X" and set the OS9 folder to be
    start up. I guess this "blessed" the folder. That's all it took.
    "blessing" the folder from OSX using "bless" didn't do it. Moving
    finder & system extension folder out of and into system folder didn't
    do it.

    Hope this helps someone else as this problem bugged me for over a
    week. Finally had to sit down and tell myself no sleep until the
    problem is fixed.

    R Esquivel

    esquivel_rene, Dec 4, 2003
  4. The problem may have been that the 10.2 CD does not install system 9,
    but only the Classic emulation, which you cannot boot from. To be able
    to boot from system 9 you have to install it separately, from a system 9
    installation CD, over system 10.

    BTW, you did not say whether after installing from the 9.1 CD you
    updated to 9.2 and to 9.2.2. If you did not, you would be well advised
    to download the updates from Apple and apply them, because without the
    update, system 9.1 sometimes has problems working with system 10.

    Leslie Dewart

    Leslie Dewart, Dec 4, 2003