Upgraded my computer and its video card, but get black and white TV out (grey scale).

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by ANTant, Dec 25, 2006.

  1. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hello,

    My computer hardware upgrade (Christmas gift) is finally done, but I am
    having problems with the new EVGA's NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT KO (512 MB;
    PCIe). The TV out color is in black and white/gray scale. I am using the
    latest NVIDIA v93.71 driver in Windows XP Pro. SP2 (all updates). I
    tried rebooting, shutting down system, etc.
    http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=57 did not work
    for me.

    I did notice something though. Even BIOS' splash screen, Windows' splash
    screen, CMOS screens (mostly blue), etc. are not in colors as well so it
    can't be a driver issue. It sounds like a hardware problem. I did NOT
    have this problem before the upgrade with a XFX GeForce 6800 (AGP; 128
    MB) video card and earlier cards before it (e.g., ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    AIW, GF4 Ti4200, etc.).

    My video setup is:

    1. A Samsung SyncMaster 17" CRT for primary display (using DVI -> VGA
    adapter; connected to a 2 ports OmniCube KVM to share two desktops). No
    problems with the primary screen so far.

    2. My secondary monitor is my old Sharp 20" CRT TV. It is connected to a
    Toshiba VCR and a bowtie antenna (no cable and satellite). The video
    card's TV out is via the bundled cables (red, yellow, and green circular
    connectors). I use the green one to another extension cord (TV is on the
    other side of the room) via a RCA cable.

    Is my video card defective, missing/misconfigured, or something? Thank
    you in advance. :)
    --
    "When you need a helpline for breakfast cereals, it's time to start thinking about tearing down civilization and giving the ants a go." --Chris King in A.S.R.
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Dec 25, 2006

  2. Hi Ant,

    The fact that one of the plugs is green rather than white suggests that
    your new video card is outputting Component Video instead of Composite.
    However, usually Component plugs are red, green and blue, not red,
    green and yellow. In fact I'm sure that you have component out, because
    there's no way you'd be getting audio out of the graphics card.

    You will need to check the documentation that came with your card to see
    if it is possible to make the splitter box output composite instead of
    component video.

    The documentation on the website says the card can output composite,
    component and s-video. Composite is one RCA cable, usually yellow.
    S-Video is a 4-pin cable, usually black. Component is 3 plugs (H,S,V),
    usually Red, Green and Blue. There might be a switch on the box that
    plugs into the graphics card, or you might have separate cables for
    composite/s-video/component. Check the box carefully.

    Merry Christmas and hope it helps,

    Cameron.

    Cameron Walsh, Dec 25, 2006

  3. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    OOPS! The yellow one is the RCA. I do have red, green, and blue. And of
    course the black one (like a PS/2 port).

    What's the difference between these two? How do I make a splitter box? I
    am not an audio and visual expert. :)

    Switch box? I don't think my card came with one. Nor do I see it
    mentioned.

    Thanks and you too.

    ANTant, Dec 25, 2006
  4. Ok, I was expecting the card to come with a little black box that would
    plug in to the graphics card, with various RCA plus/s-video plugs on
    that. Apparently that is not the case. I can't really tell you much
    more without seeing what came in the box or the manual.

    As far as the difference between composite and component goes, composite
    is lower quality, and uses 1 RCA cable for video (the red and white
    would be audio). Component is higher quality (better than s-video) and
    uses 3 RCA cables for video, and 2 for audio.

    It's not just an NTSC/PAL issue is it? If you've got a European or
    Australian TV, set the TV-out style to PAL. If it's US or Japanese, try
    NTSC.

    Otherwise all I can do is point you to the graphics card manual or the
    CD that came with it.

    All the best,

    Cameron.

    Cameron Walsh, Dec 25, 2006
  5. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    My computer hardware upgrade (Christmas gift) is finally done, but I am
    It is one of those bundled cable with a connector to the video card.
    Remember those old ATI Radeon All-ibn-Wonder 9600 cards? If so, then
    it is like those. ;)

    Well, I think I am stuck with a RCA cable because of this VCR and TV. I
    don't see anything else to use?

    Yeah, I tried forcing M/NTSC as others mentioned. No luck. But remember,
    I have this B&W problem before I even load Windows XP like the BIOS
    splash screen.

    Well, I did find this:
    From my video card's manual on page 11:

    Problem: My card carries the support for TV-Out but cannot get a dislay
    on TV.

    Cause: The TV is not properly detected by windows due to signal loss
    and/or is not enabled within Display Control Panel.

    Solution: There must be a direct connection from the TV to the graphics
    card through an RCA or S-Video cable. There cannot be any intermediary
    devices such as a VCR, receiver, or switch box within the connection.
    Power on the TV before booting Windows and enable the TV-Out feature
    during Device Selection of the Display Control Panel.

    What? Don't tell me this is true.

    ANTant, Dec 25, 2006
  6. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    I got a reply in
    http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23539
    telling me that my 10(?) years old CRT TV can't handle the signal and
    that I need a video switch/processor. Is this true? I don't think the
    card said I needed a HDTV?

    ANTant, Dec 26, 2006
  7. I've read a couple of replies on that website:

    1024x768 is HDTV, 768p non-widescreen.

    You should be able to get 800x600, otherwise 640x480 through a standard
    composite cable. Try setting the resolution of the TV to 640x480 in the
    display-settings window on the computer.

    I'm hoping that your graphics card is intelligently choosing composite
    out somehow. If not, you may be able to set that in the display
    settings for your card. (Right click on desktop, settings, advanced,
    etc.) If you find a setting for composite/s-video/component out, make
    sure you choose composite. The setting may be buried quite deep.

    It is possible that your VCR thinks it is getting an NTSC signal, but
    your TV thinks it is getting a PAL signal, or vice-versa. The
    auto-detect feature on some TV's doesn't work very well. Read the
    manuals for the VCR and TV and check to see if you can force detection
    of a PAL or NTSC signal. I prefer PAL, as it is higher resolution,
    others prefer NTSC because of the higher framerate. It may be that your
    TV can only support one format, in which case, choose that one everywhere.

    The fact that you are getting some signal on the TV, even if it is black
    and white, suggests that it should somehow be possible to get this to
    work. I think the VCR between the card and the TV might have caused a
    different problem for other people, i.e. no display at all, but that's
    another story.

    Running out of ideas here...

    Cameron.

    Cameron Walsh, Dec 26, 2006
  8. ANTant

    goPostal Guest

    Not to butt in, but doesn't some VCR's have difficulties as a "pass through"
    devices and the macrovision built into them can cause the black and white
    issue? I remember reading about that a year or so ago.

    goPostal, Dec 26, 2006
  9. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Well, I did find this:
    I tried 640x480 and still get B&W/gray scale. Just a larger image.

    Yeah, I tried that too. No help.

    If this helps... The TV is a Sharp 19G-M60 and was bought on 3/18/1996
    (10.75 years old!) according to this saved Costco receipt ($170). The
    VCR is a Toshiba W-627. According to the manual's specifications, it
    only knows standard NTSC. I can't find anything about the TV if it
    supports PAL and stuff. I assume it is just NTSC.

    Yah, and all previous video cards: Matrox G400, Leadtek GeForce 2
    Pro(?), Leadtek GF4 Ti4200, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW, and XFX GF 6800
    never had problems. Now, I have problems with my new video card: EVGA
    GeForce 7950 GT KO. :(

    Yeah, what to try. I hope I don't haev to buy a new TV.

    ANTant, Dec 26, 2006
  10. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Well, I did find this:
    Is there a name for this that I can look in the VCR's old dusty manual?
    And what's the workaround/fix if this is the case?

    ANTant, Dec 26, 2006
  11. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    UPDATES:

    I managed to borrow a portable Spectra 5" Color CRT TV (old, but should
    be newer than my Sharp TV). I disconnected the RCA cable from my VCR
    that connects to the TV. I hooked up the RCA cable to the portable TV
    and tested it. Same results (B&W/gray scale). At least I narrowed down
    the problem. It can't be the TVs and VCR. So far, it looks like the RCA
    cables, video card, or I need those switcher (still need a
    recommendation on which one to get) or whatever.

    Here's my TV out cable setup:
    Female TV/VCR's line/video in/input - RCA cable (both male yellow ends)
    - RCA cable (both female yellow end) - video card's bundled cable
    connector with a green female RCA end and the male end to the video
    card's TV out (female plug; has other connectors bundled to this one
    like ATI Radeon 9600 AIW's connector).

    I have two RCA cables because of the length between my computer and TV
    (almost across the room -- don't think distance matters since I never
    had problems before).

    ANTant, Dec 29, 2006