upgraded my processor from an AMD Duron 800 Processor to 2600

Discussion in 'Asus' started by niaxous, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. niaxous

    niaxous Guest

    ASUS A7N8X
    AMD Duron 800 Processor upgraded to 2600
    Zalman CPNU 7000 Cooler
    Elixir Memory 512MB DDR333 PC2700
    1 Maxtor 40Gb HD
    CD-RW
    CD-DVD
    Abit FX5200
    Windows 2000

    Hi,

    I just changed upgraded my processor from an AMD Duron 800 Processor
    to 2600
    I have lockups and reboots with most of my apps and games.
    I changed in the Bios the cpu speed from 100 to 166.
    During the P.O.S.T it says 1912 Mhz instead of 2600+.

    Do you have any clues because I don't and I don't want to re-install
    the whole bloody thing.

    Thanks for your future posts.

    Niaxous
    PS I also installed a new keyboard and mouse (drivers have been
    installed)

    niaxous, Jan 24, 2004

  2. niaxous

    niaxous Guest

    I found the answer: I dropped the FSB from 166 to 133 = no problem anymore
    Nevertheless I will start overclocking the machine to get some more power out of it.
    Niaxous

    niaxous, Jan 25, 2004

  3. niaxous

    DreamMaker Guest

    Hi tha xp 2600 (the barton) runs at 166mghz and the curent power of
    that cpu is 1914 so i guess that you did buy tha barton cpu.

    chek it out with aida32.

    try to put your bios at default and set up like so. then if it dont
    works maybe your bios as little problem to handle the cpu update it to
    the latess one and it should be fine.

    cia

    DreamMaker, Jan 25, 2004
  4. niaxous

    niaxous Guest

    Thanks for your post
    When I changed the FSB to 133 it gave me 2Ghz.
    I phoned the shop and they are willing to change the CPU to a barton.
    But I will buy myself a 2.8Ghz Barton an extra €50 ($50) so at least
    I'll be sure of the performances.
    The reason for this is to aquire an extra 512Mb ram for the Dual DDR
    performance.
    As I use this machine to display heavy game graphics and fluid
    gameplay.
    Niaxous
    I ran the aida32

    niaxous, Jan 29, 2004