    make this faster let me know.

    Thanks,
    Billy

    Cnomey25, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Cnomey25

    Ben Myers Guest

    As far as the processor goes, the system is not too far from the top speed
    possible for a Socket 7 motherboard. I have not checked the exact specs on the
    motherboard, but the fastest AMD K6 processor ever tops out at 550MHz. The
    increase in speed over 400Mhz is not worth the trouble or the cost of doing a
    processor upgrade.

    On the other hand, especially running Windows 2000 or XP, system responsiveness
    would benefit from more memory. How much memory? The answer depends on the
    habits and usage patterns of the person or persons using the computer. My rule
    of thumb has always been a minimum of 256MB for either Windows 2000 or XP to
    allow one to operate comfortably several software programs at once.

    Your other choice is to swap out the motherboard, probably for one with a faster

    Pentium III or Celeron Socket 370 processor. I'm not sure that it would be
    worth doing given the low prices of new systems these days... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 27, 2004

  3. There's not much upgradeability there. The K6-2 only goes to 550 MHz, and
    while the chips are inexpensive, it's not much of an upgrade. You can find
    used gigahertz Athlon systems for $100-150 - complete with drives.

    Edward J. Neth, Jan 27, 2004