Upgrading 5BW220 from ME to Win2000?

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Pat Blank, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. Pat Blank

    Pat Blank Guest

    I want to upgrade a Presario 5BW220 from Windows ME to Windows 2000 Pro.
    I want to do a fresh install of Win2k. I've searched for drivers using
    Compaq's support as a guide. So far I have the following Win2k drivers:

    Compaq Inet keyboard driver (Compaq site)
    Latest Rompaq, if needed (Compaq's site)
    Color Management Softeare (Compaq's site)
    810/810e video chipset driver for Win2k (Intel's site)
    ESS Allegro 1989 sound driver for Win2k (ESS site)
    PCTel HSP Modem driver for Win2k (PCTel site)

    I think this covers the driver's I need.

    The specs of the system are:

    667Mhz Celeron
    192MB RAM
    810/e Intel chipset
    Audio (Built in)
    Video (built in)
    No NIC
    40x CD-ROM
    LiteOn CDRW
    PCTel 56K Micromodem

    My questions:

    Does it look like I've covered all the driver's I need?
    Will these driver's actually work?
    Is Win2k even an option for this setup?
    Are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of?
    Are any of these drivers unecessary for Win2k?
    Am I missing anything?

    In the event that I'm unable to use Win2k, I will need to reinstall ME.
    I'll save those questions for later if I need them.

    Thanks in advance for any assitance you can give me.

    Regards.

    Pat Blank, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Pat Blank

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    you might have problems with the modem. That is the most common problem that
    I hear about.

    If you know anyone with an extra one, or the old v90 they took out of thier
    PC when they got broadband, see if you can have that onhand just incase.
    something very compatable, like a zoom, or USR, or something like that.

    That thing has a 667 in it... you could probably kick that up to
    1Ghz...socketed CPU, right ?

    NuT CrAcKeR, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Pat Blank

    Pat Blank Guest

    Well, this thing is going to be hooked up to broadband, but I'd like to
    have the modem as a backup. I actually have a Celeron 950 to try in it,
    but I think I need a better heatsink/fan.

    Pat Blank, Apr 24, 2004
  4. Pat Blank

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    If the 950 has one of those big heatspreaders, they run reallly cool. I ran
    a 900 (100FSB) at 140FSB for a long, long time and it was great. The caps on
    the board i had bowed and leaked, and then the board wouldnt work anymore.
    Broadband is quite reliable these days, but it always comes down to the
    provider, and the quality of your power broker.

    You dont need anything extravegant for the HSF...

    Dont forget to add a NIC to your list of things you will need. I havent had
    nor used a modem in years. Havent needed to.

    LC

    NuT CrAcKeR, Apr 24, 2004
  5. Pat Blank

    Pat Blank Guest

    [edit]
    No, this one has just the small center shell similar to the AMD
    processors. I also have a NIC that is supported by Win2k.

    Thanks.

    Pat Blank, Apr 24, 2004
  6. Pat Blank

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    I upgraded my 5BW- actually, gave it an overhaul from WinMe to Win XP Home-
    it runs great... and no problems to speak of with that same modem. Mine has
    a Mitac board- had a 600 mhz PIII which I upgraded to a 1.2 (using
    Upgradeware), new 40g hd (7200), 512 meg ram, original DVD player- 52x CD
    burner, NIC card, same keyboard (inet), upgraded to latest BIOS...same
    chipset...

    It's been a solid performer upgraded and under XP- under Me it was awful...
    Compaq built a good piece of hardware, very capable of being upgraded, and
    rock stable with a good OS...

    Uncle Vinnie, Apr 24, 2004
  7. Pat Blank

    HH Guest

    XP is a much better choice than W2K in this instance due to its much larger
    driver database. It simply supports a lot more hardware with built in
    drivers than does W2K. Both OSs are very stable and leagues ahead of WinMe,
    the worst of the Win 9x versions, IMHO.
    HH

    HH, Apr 25, 2004
  8. Pat Blank

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    A good point is made about the drivers and stability. most people dont think
    of driver bases when contemplating 2K or Xp.

    XP is solid, reliable, and has more cool bells and whistels than 2k also.
    RemoteDesktop support being one of them, and the XPfirewall being another.
    The firewall isnt the greatest, but its way the hell better than nothing.
    there are a bazillion other reasons too. like a buit in CD Burner (for
    copying and archiving files, not for duping or dvdripping).

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Apr 25, 2004
  9. Pat Blank

    donutbandit Guest

    I wouldn't advise it if you haven't upgraded the memory. Been there, done
    that. W2K used 63 megs of the 64 just to run.

    donutbandit, Apr 26, 2004
  10. Pat Blank

    Pat Blank Guest

    Well I have successfully migrated (upgraded) from Windows Me to Windows
    2000 Pro. All the drivers I found work well. I installed a NIC and I am
    ready to go.

    My only problem arose when I was burning CDs (using Nero). Burning was
    slow and the whole system seemed sluggish. I checked to see if DMA was
    enabled and it wasn't for the Secondary channel (it was for the hard
    drive). I set the controller to use DMA if available. When I rebooted, I
    found DMA was enabled. I tried burning again and it seemed to work fine
    but the CD I burned wasn't readable. So I was left with a system that
    burned CDs in PIO mode, albeit slowly, and burned coasters if DMA was
    enabled.

    So I went on a search for answers and came across the solution. I needed
    to install Intel's Application Accelerator software for my chipset
    (810). It set the controller to enable DMA (highest mode for each
    device). I did a reboot (actually twice to fully install), and my
    problem disappeared. Even the hard drive, which supposedly was already
    DMA enabled, seemed to work more quickly.

    Bottom-line, I am very pleased with how the system works now. Goodbye
    Me.
    :)

    Pat Blank, Apr 26, 2004
  11. Pat Blank

    Uncle Vinnie Guest

    Great - good luck to you... ! Most, if not all of the problems I had with
    my 5000 T had to do with the OS and not the hardware...

    Great piece of hardware- and with a good OS I believe you'll be happy for
    some time!

    Uncle Vinnie, Apr 26, 2004