    full with sp2. I've just heard some people say that my presario woul
    not run right with a hard drive that large.

    Any ideas about this ??

    treefrogbobby, Feb 2, 2006

  2. Per
    I just put a 300-gigger in my 5000.

    It works, but the system will not recognize more that 130-some gigs in a given
    partition.

    But Windows XP and all my software needs less than 15 gigs, so I just
    partitioned it so that C: had about 35 gigs and then created other partitions of
    120 or less - and the PC can recognize everything.

    This is a good thing to do anyhow because it helps separate the system from your
    data. Once your system and all apps are installed, just rip off an image and
    keep it incase the sys goes south.

    One of those partitions, of course, is D: (data).... so I always know where
    everything is and can back it up easily.

    (PeteCresswell), Feb 2, 2006

  3. treefrogbobby

    metronid Guest

    I am alittle confused
    You installed a 300 GIG HD

    You must set it at 120GB partitions

    metronid, Feb 3, 2006
  4. I have 2 40GB hard drives in the tower now and I'm going to take bot
    out and just put in the 260GB hard drive. The problem i'm having is
    don't know If I have to format and partition the hard drive using m
    external case first before I put it in the tower to install XP HOME.
    have bought a full retail copy of XP HOME and It says i need to instal
    it on a formatted drive. Do you know If it will format and set up th
    partitions while I'm doing the install ?

    Thanks for your help m8

    treefrogbobby, Feb 3, 2006
  5. treefrogbobby

    metronid Guest

    The HD comes low level format from the factory
    If your bios recognizes the HD which it should
    XP will do the rest
    It will do the formatting
    The high level format Fat 32 or NTFS
    depending on your input when it asks
    Now the Bios probably will not see the 240GB
    I could be wrong
    If you see over 137GB let me know

    ""

    metronid, Feb 4, 2006
  6. treefrogbobby

    dannysdailys Guest

    I have 2 40GB hard drives in the tower now and I'm going to tak
    bot
    --
    [/quote:b9ca9e4270

    I generally use an old Windows ME emergency floppy to format my drive
    in Fdisk

    Using multiple partitions is a must anyway with a drive that large.
    You will have to defrag it

    If you must use the drive as a single volume, just get a PCI RAID car
    or similar controller. If you plan on actually filling that drive?
    Get a RAID card and buy another drive. RAID 1 it. I can't imagin
    replacing that much data simply because I cheaped out

    There are only two kinds of users. Those that had have hard driv
    failures, and those that haven't, yet..

    dannysdailys, Feb 4, 2006
  7. Per
    I use Pro, so maybe it's different - but when I do the install, there is an
    option in the blue screen stage to create/delete partitions. I just delete the
    partition that's there, create a 10-gigger for the system, and then create
    120-giggers or below to take up the rest of the disk's unpartitioned space.

    (PeteCresswell), Feb 4, 2006
  8. Thanks you guys.

    I'm going to give it a shot today. I'll try making partition
    with 120GB/120GB/20GB on the 260GB during the install. I'll use th
    20GB for the system. Keep your fingers crossed , lol.

    Thanks again M8's

    treefrogbobby, Feb 4, 2006
  9. OK, I'm installing now and it recognized the 240GB's on the hard driv
    so I didn't create a partition at all. Just kept it at 240GB. I'l
    let you know if it all runs fine but it looks good so far.

    treefrogbobby, Feb 5, 2006

  10. Well guys ... I'm here to tell ya it worked great ! and I'm on. Thing
    to be really smooooth

    treefrogbobby, Feb 5, 2006