Upgrading an Acer laptop internal hard drive above 40gb?

Discussion in 'Acer' started by maxm, Jun 29, 2006.

  1. maxm

    maxm Guest

    Hello, was just wondering if anyone has succeeded in upgrading thei
    internal laptop hard drive above 40gb

    I have an Acer Travelmate 2700, and want to upgrade the 40gb 4200rp
    Toshiba hdd supplied. I've tried a Hitachi 7200rpm 100gb and als
    60gb but both gave problems.

    The 100gb corrupted or lost the primary partition after 2-3 boot ups
    and the 60gb could hardly read any file or boot up at all (ver
    slow

    Is there a 40gb limit on the hdd for these laptops?

    I read somewhere that the erecovery software might be causing th
    problems.

    Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Thank

    maxm, Jun 29, 2006

  2. It's all about the BIOS. Check the specs and see if there is an upgrade you
    can flash on to the chip that would recognize larger hard drives. other
    wise you'll just have to make do with what you've got or use an external
    drive.

    KC

    Kevin Childers, Jun 29, 2006

  3. maxm

    maxm Guest

    Thanks I'll try updating the bios next time I get a new hard drive
    and let you know

    maxm, Jun 30, 2006
  4. maxm

    b737fso

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Your problem could be because Acer drives are mounted in FAT32 format which does not support large partitions.

    b737fso, Aug 11, 2006
  5. maxm

    denfilin Guest

    Can walk you through it. I currently have 120GB in my Acer. Not
    completely familiar with your model but if you bought it within the
    last 4 years, you'll have no problem putting the largest laptop HDD
    they currently make, 120 GB. I regularly put 100 GB HDD's in laptops
    of all kinds made as far back as 97. Even if your laptop could only
    read 40GB's, you can download free formatting software from the HDD
    manufacturer (laptop HDD's do not come with the software as they are
    easy to damage, my guess is that's what happened to your 3 boot
    specialty) that will allow you to make up to 4 main partitions 40GB's
    or smaller. If you are installing from a store purchased OS, you can
    use the disc to format the drive but make sure to format only a C
    drive and then format the others after you are loaded otherwise you
    will be formatting into Logcal drives. You also have the option of
    getting a 5400 speed HDD which will make you think you've bought a
    whole new laptop.

    denfilin, Sep 16, 2006
  6. maxm

    henryclayton

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Acer 100GB hard disk or hard drive

    I have an 80 GB hard disk drive in an Acer 5610-2966 Aspire.
    SEVERAL times I look to see if a hard drive store offers acer hard drives and the 5610 is clearly missing from the list of acer hard drives.

    I want to find the dimensions of the hard drive and any and all information about the hard drive I have.
    (there are two partitions that are 33.5 and 33.2 GB and perhaps a hidden 10GB partition)
    I don't know if it is SATA or EIDE or something else.
    I looked in the system book which is conveniently located on the computer but its information is trivial or incomplete as far as specifications of the hard drive.
    I want a 100 gigabytes hard disk drive to put inside this computer and I don't want to pay $500 dollars.
    I do not want more than 100 GB in hard disk size.
    If the brand is not acer, I want ABSOLUTE ASSURANCE that it will be compatible or a full refund.
    PLEASE, ANY HELP I WOULD LIKE.

    henryclayton, Aug 19, 2007