Upgrading an HP Brio with Intel 810 chipset

Discussion in 'HP' started by SteveJobs, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. SteveJobs

    SteveJobs Guest

    I recently repaired and rebuilt an HP Brio BA210 for my father. The
    HP motherboard uses the Intel 810 chipset. This board supports both
    Celeron and Pentium 3 CPUs I'd like to swap the Celeron 533 processor
    for a faster Pentium 3. As for the Pentium 3, how fast can I go?

    I notice that the board supports an FSB of 66Mhz and 100Mhz. My
    impression is that the fastest upgrade I should try is the fastest
    Pentium 3 that will run with a 100Mhz FSB. This would allow a 1.10
    Ghz CPU.

    This assumes I'm using the correct guideline for determining the
    fastest CPU for this chipset. Unfortunately, Intel's site is very
    limited when it comes to documenting "mature" chips and chipsets.
    Pentium® III Processor for the PGA370
    Socket at 500 MHz to 1.13 GHz ...

     Available in 1.13 GHz, 1B GHz, 933, 866,
    800EB, 733, 667, 600EB, and 533EB MHz
    for a 133 MHz system bus

    Available in 1.10 GHz, 1 GHz, 900, 850,
    800, 750, 700, 650, 600E, 550E, and 500E
    MHz for a 100 MHz system bus

    So, does the P3 1.10 Ghz with 100 Mhz FSB sound correct?
    If so, how do I change the FSB from 66 to 100 Mhz ?
    (there is no BIOS setting, and I cannot find a manual that shows the
    jumpers)

    Will there be a voltage issue in switching from the Celeron 533 to P3
    1.10 Ghz ?
    (or is that worked out by the BIOS)
    If needed, where do I find a new BIOS?

    Sorry for all the questions, it's really important to me to get this
    working, can't afford a new machine right now, not even a cheap one.

    Thanks

    SteveJobs, Jun 24, 2007

  2. SteveJobs

    BigJim Guest

    you could use any P3 with a FSB of 100 but watch what you get they do have
    them at a FSB of 133.
    You may also have to update your bios to run a 1 gig p3. You should also
    have the memory to support the 100 fsb.
    Some 133 memory will run at 100 some will not. Best bet is to get 100 mhz
    low density memory.

    BigJim, Jun 24, 2007

  3. SteveJobs

    Ben Myers Guest

    You may or may not have issues with CPU voltages supported by the motherboard.
    The faster ones operate at lower voltages. Voltage support is not regulated by
    the motherboard BIOS in an HP. Instead, whatever CPU voltage supported is
    designed into the motherboard circuitry. HP rarely provides complete and
    definitive infornation about its motherboards, so you are taking some sort of
    calculated risk installing a P3 CPU... Ben Myers

    Available in 1.13 GHz, 1B GHz, 933, 866,

    Ben Myers, Jun 25, 2007