Upgrading Asus As7-vm mobo

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by David Off, Jun 25, 2004.

  1. David Off

    David Off Guest

    I want to upgrade my Asus AS7-VM motherboard. It currently has an
    Athlon 1GHz processor. According to Asus it will take up to a 1.4GHz
    Athlon or 900 MHz Duron, I don't see why there is a difference in CPU
    speed.

    I checked the local computer store and it is only possible to get
    Duron processors, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 GHz. Will a 1.4 GHz Duron buy me much
    over a 1 GHz Athlon given the smaller on-board cache?

    The Duron is a much later design, so will presumable generate less
    heat.

    I also wonder if I can run one of the higher speed Durons in this
    mobo? The Asus doc only mentions 1.4GHz but maybe that is because
    faster processors were not available at the time.

    The Athlon XP processor doesn't seem to be any good due to the faster
    FSB speed (266 MHz as opposed to 133MHz).

    tia
    David

    David Off, Jun 25, 2004

  2. David Off

    JK Guest

    Your motherboard takes just the socalled fsb200 cpu's. They are rare
    now.
    These newer durons are all fsb266. They won't fit the bios of your
    motherboard.
    266=2x133 that is the secret of it. Fsb200=2x100 and so on for fsb333
    and 400.

    My advice would be: don't upgrade it.

    Sell the computer for 200 $ or so, excl. monitor but including the
    rest.

    Because: you have the following components that are outdated or
    obsolete: sdram, harddisk, sound, net

    Modern motherboards have mostly nice sound onboard and LAN and a new
    big cache ide harddisk with 7200 rpm will mean a tremendeous
    improvement, as will DDR ram.

    best regards

    John

    JK, Jun 25, 2004

  3. David Off

    rstlne Guest

    the chips are 100 / 133 / 166 / 200 fsb (thats all)
    if you see a chip that's quoted as having 266 fsb then it's going to work
    with a 133 fsb.
    like the other poster said, your limited to 100fsb so you could go the path
    of buying a mobile processor and running it at 15 x 100 (but you might have
    trouble with that too)
    I would think the newer durons (applebreds) are lock'd internally now (as
    with all non mobile AXP chips) but if that 1.4 applebred runs at 10.5 x 133
    then you would have a 1050 duron on startup.

    I dont know what you'll pay for the conversion cost (wish the uk would go to
    the euro)
    but here is a mobile that should do that 15x100
    http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=416

    Good luck in what ever you decide :)

    rstlne, Jun 25, 2004
  4. David Off

    CJK Guest

    Been looking into this for some time as I have an old Gigabyte 7AJA (KT133)
    board
    with a Duron 800 I would like to breathe some new life into cheaply while
    keeping the
    512MB of ECC PC133 memory and an ATI AIW AGP2 TV card so new mobo
    not really an option.

    Being unable to find a 200FSB processor, an XP2400 (15x133) underclocked
    seems
    fine. The mobo says 'unknown processor' but runs quite happily (& cool)
    at 1.5GHz (15x100). Norton benchmarks about 4x as fast as the Duron 800
    and it certainly performs better.

    Processor is locked otherwise I assume I could run it at a higher clock
    ratio
    whilst still being in spec.

    Chris K

    CJK, Jun 25, 2004
  5. David Off

    Wes Newell Guest

    Forget what Asus says. It's crap.
    Any Duron should work. Although, I'd go for an XP.
    There are no 266MHz AMD cpu's, only 100-200MHz. All the 266/333/400 crap
    you see is just that, mraketing stratagies.

    Your MB will support a fsb of up to 150MHz. See Advanced setup in manual
    or bios. And even if it were limited to 100Mhz, that still wouldn't mean
    you couldn't use an XP cpu. There's just 2 things that determine cpu
    speed, multiplier x FSB clock= cpu clock. The highest multiplier is 24 (as
    long as cpu is not a locked model), so in theory you could run a cpu at
    3600MHz if you could find one that would run that fast, which you won't.
    Your only gotya is the multiplier lock. If you buy a multiplier locked cpu
    you can only adjust FSB to change speeds, either down or up to a max of
    150MHz (but I'd say 133 to be conservative). So how fast do you want to
    go, and how much are you willing to spend is the only question.

    I configered a system with this MB for someone a couple of years ago and
    was impressed with it's versitility for a SIS730 chipset. There's lot's
    more general info in the link below. You might also not the the system
    listed below is limited to 100Mhz FSB but still runs an XP cpu pretty
    fast. A 3200+ only runs at 2200MHz.

    Wes Newell, Jun 25, 2004
  6. David Off

    Wes Newell Guest

    Don't know if your board will let you adjust FSB or not, but if it does,
    you can raise the FSB up to about 116Mhz for more core speed. At least
    that what I could get out of my KT133 systems. That's another 240MHz. You
    could go a lot higher with an unlocked one. See below.

    Wes Newell, Jun 25, 2004
  7. David Off

    CJK Guest

    Thanks, I was intending to try that though I'd rather not risk stability for
    small speed gains,
    not sure how the 5 year old Graphics card would like the PCI bus speed
    increase. 3/4x
    improvement is OK for now.

    Going to 24x100FSB would be good as it is not really overclocking but I
    assume
    that, as the processor is date coded only a few weeks ago, it cannot be
    easily
    unlocked.

    Chris K (UK)

    CJK, Jun 26, 2004
  8. David Off

    David Off Guest

    Hmmm that's pretty interesting. I did check the BIOS setup... and
    found that I was underclocking my existing CPU, Doh. It was running at
    90/30 with a multiplier (locked) of 10 and I bumped this up to 100/33.

    Where I live (France) the Athlon XP 2000+ seems like the best value
    upgrade currently. This runs at 1667 MHz so I assume it is locked at
    12.5 with a FSB of 133.

    David Off, Jun 26, 2004
  9. David Off

    Wes Newell Guest

    2400MHz is way overclocked for the 2100+ below which normal speed is
    1733MHz. The default speed of the 2400+ is only 2000MHz. There's a mod to
    turn the locked cpu's into a mobile and then use software to adjust the
    multiplier, but I haven't had the need nor the desire to do rthis as it
    involes a lot of mod to the cpu bridges and there's some buts in too. Your
    best option would be to find an older Tbred B core cpu that isn't locked
    (ebay maybe). Or you could buy a new MP. They are still unlocked, but
    expensive. A new mobile should work too, as they are not locked I'm told.

    Wes Newell, Jun 26, 2004