  1. Considering who has his hand up the Ron Rea-Ugh sock puppet,
    you don't know how funny "Move to Australia" is.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Oct 3, 2004

  2. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    You are a bald faced liar.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 3, 2004

  3. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Ah so Dell's mobos are weak in this arena.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 3, 2004
  4. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Only the most feeble don't get that FACT.
    And many fixes are NOT documented which provides a GREATER incentive to
    flash the latest BIOS.
    Always flash the latest BIOS carefully.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 3, 2004
  5. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Beware of trolls.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 3, 2004
  6. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    A very dubious claim considering your posts.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 3, 2004
  7. Jeff Gillan

    Tom Scales Guest

    But once again. I asked for specific examples and all you have are insults.

    Examples, preferably links to reputable sources, of motherboards that have
    failed because you did NOT upgrade the bios please.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 3, 2004
  8. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    I made NO such claim and you prove yourself again to be a bald faced liar.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 3, 2004
  9. Jeff Gillan

    Sparky Guest

    I love self referential posts!

    Sparky, Oct 3, 2004
  10. Jeff Gillan

    Tom Scales Guest

    Don't YOU even read what you write?

    I'll provide you a quote from your post:

    "NOT FLASHING in the long run will cause more folks more grief and destroy
    more mobos than flashing."

    So, YES, you DID make such a claim. Proof please?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 3, 2004
  11. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    My point is proved. You are a bald faced liar. The quote below is NOT what
    you last posted.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 3, 2004
  12. Jeff Gillan

    Tom Scales Guest

    No, it was a quote from YOUR post. Is English a second language for you?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 4, 2004
  13. Jeff Gillan

    joe_tide Guest

    Tom,

    As someone said earlier "Please don't feed the trolls" aka Energy Monster.

    joe_tide, Oct 4, 2004
  14. Jeff Gillan

    Craig Willis Guest

    SP2 does some weird stuff. It gets involved in the BIOS which gets involved
    in the CPU microcode. And for low enough microcode revisions, a few systems
    will no longer boot XP. I would classify it as a "totally bad kharma 10
    hour fix with much hair pulling" bug. (Fix time will vary depending on
    accessibility to another system with a floppy or burner and an internet
    connection)

    The good this is a Prescott bug affecting revision levels 8 or below
    on NON-Intel motherboards. So far, I haven't heard of any affected Dells.
    It affects seven or so motherboard manufacturers other than Intel.

    The bad it proves that a major system change or OS change can **** up
    your system. (This is a very important line, re-read it if necessary)

    Upgrade the BIOS.

    The posters here mean well but aren't really thinking on their own. You
    SHOULD upgrade. Someone started this rule-of-thumb of not upgrading the
    BIOS if it isn't broken. It caught on in a dangerous way. Things have
    changed a bit. A lot actually. And that rule of thumb is no longer
    meaningful.

    I wouldn't keep looking for updates. I would just make sure your i's are
    dotted and t's are crossed whenever you make a big change. And upgrading
    the BIOS is part of that.

    Craig Willis, Oct 5, 2004
  15. Jeff Gillan

    David Casey Guest

    Works fine here. With the original BIOS.
    No kidding. ;-)
    Why? SP2 and everything else works fine. Again, why would someone want to
    mess with something that is working?
    That someone was probably the person who rendered a couple motherboard's
    inoperative. Hence the rule-of-thumb to not mess with the BIOS unless you
    have a problem.
    When there is a problem.
    Yes, they do. A lot. I believe that is geared more toward what I like to
    call, the AOL-type computer user. Someone who doesn't really know how
    their computer works but doesn't care so long as it works. When it doesn't
    they don't care why, they just want Dell (or Best Buy or CompUSA or
    whoever) to fix it for them even if all it means is defraging their hard
    drive or something easy.

    As for the rest of us, I'll stick to leaving it alone until it's broken.
    Then maybe I'll give some consideration to upgrading the BIOS.

    BTW, your name isn't Ron is it? ;-)

    Anyway, a storm is coming. Hmmm... maybe you all are right. I really
    should upgrade my BIOS. After all, what are the chances of the power going
    out? ;-)

    Dave
    Who knows the chances, but maybe 75% of the folks out there don't. And
    they are the ones calling up Dell to ask why their computer isn't working
    anymore.
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    David Casey, Oct 5, 2004
  16. Jeff Gillan

    S.Lewis Guest

    ......and, of course, Dell will be glad to sell the poster a replacement
    system board at confiscatory prices and you'll be more than happy to install
    it for him should a power bump or a corrupted or damaged floppy diskette
    cause his flash go badly.

    Please note that Dell also said that its own Dimension XPS B wasn't
    compatible with WinXP, or that its XPS R couldn't use DIMMs of capacities
    higher than 128mb (or handle a maximum capacity of more than 384mb), or that
    the XPS T would only support a PIII 850mhz CPU at it's maximum range, or....

    I do mean well when I advise not to flash one's BIOS on a casual whim, but
    rather to do so ONLY to gain necessary system function or to correct present
    errors or malfunction.

    It's generally a lot easier to recover from a faulty service pack or OS
    install than to do so from a bad flash.

    To me, that's plenty meaningful - right now in the present.

    Speaking of meaningful, here's a phone number you'll want to jot down:
    800-999-3355 Ext 69937. That's Dell spare parts.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Oct 5, 2004
  17. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    No, it affected Intel mobos too during RC2. Intel came out with the fix on
    about Aug. 7 but many in distribution did NOT have the fix yet. Those Intel
    mobo user hung unless of course they were intelligent and 'always flashed
    the latest mobo BIOS carefully'. Some non-Intel mobos already had an
    appropriate BIOS before this. Some didn't get it until later in August.
    Only when using a Prescott or Celeron D.
    Yes, this was a major faux paux by both MS and Intel as the issue was
    originally detected in June under RC2.

    The important issue for this thread is that it has become industry standard
    for BIOSs to be black boxes. Very little about them is documented including
    but not limited to which microcode levelS are included in which BIOS
    version. A new BIOS always contains much more than what the readme says.
    In fact if there is no superficial/public reason for a new BIOS then one
    sees it appear with NO readme.

    Back around 2000 when real computer pros realized this about BIOSs and when
    new BIOSs began to rarely cause serious problems, most figured out that the
    rule of thumb that they used was 'always flash the latest mobo BIOS
    carefully'. That's still the correct rule. You'll end up in the long run
    spending more time and hassle and dollars by NOT following this rule. The
    risk of a bad flash if done carefully is miniscule. One is more likely to
    destroy their mobo during a debugging session trying to figure out a bug
    that the latest BIOS would have fixed. Stay ahead of any problems and flash
    the latest BIOS carefully. They don't create new BIOSs just for fun.
    Sooner or later you will get bit by not having the latest mobo BIOS.

    In many cases those who followed this rule did NOT suffer from the SP2
    Prescott microcode issue described above.
    Exactly...wannabee experts without long and deep PC experience.
    And became an old wives' tale.
    And very often if you end up in a technical support call debug session then
    one of the first things you'll be asked is if you have the latest mobo BIOS
    and if not then flash. That is true whether the TS call is for your mobo or
    display card or for your GPS mapping program etc. Get ahead of that and
    flash preemptively just like installing the latest device drivers or program
    fixes or service packs.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 5, 2004
  18. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    You can't tell when it will stop working nor why it does. Did you also wait
    to turn on your virus checker after you HD goes blank?
    A cretin destroyed a couple of mobos and created a cretin rule...we all
    figured that out. Now the cretin rule should die a proper death.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 5, 2004
  19. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    One doesn't flash carefully in an enviroment where a power 'bump' is likely.
    Being cautious in that fashion the odds of your mythical power 'bump' during
    the 15 second critical period of the flash becomes miniscule.
    Floppy problems NEVER cause bad flashes...get a clue.
    NO, it's often easier to recover from a problem flash. Most the time an
    interrupted flash does NOT end with an unbootable system.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 5, 2004
  20. Jeff Gillan

    Craig Willis Guest

    Hi David -

    I snipped most of your reply. I'm not in the mood to reply per jab. And
    most of what you write is nonsense. There are obvious power failure
    warnings in the BIOS instructions. A thunderstorm is in there... And then
    ther's the typical well padded layer of common sense /most/ people possess.

    As you dismiss Dell tech support's advice, what are your credentials and why
    have I not seen the Casey Inspiron series?

    Craig Willis, Oct 5, 2004