    fears. A few people tried to flash from Intel's site. And a few people
    spill coffee on there computers.

    Where's the proof that 90% of this thread isn't fear mongering?

    Brian, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    No such proof is needed as that is intuitively obvious to all but a few
    wannabee PC experts.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Jeff Gillan

    David Casey Guest

    Yes, common sense to me is to not try and fix that which is not broken. I
    do apologize for the smart-ass tone of my post. I did perhaps come off a
    little strong. :)
    I dismiss any advice which basically tells someone to upgrade their BIOS
    just because a new version is available. But to each their own. My system
    is working just fine with the A01 BIOS (I have an 8400). If I run into a
    problem which the A02 says it might fix or I have exhausted all other
    possibilities, I might upgrade it. But as it is, it works fine so why mess
    with it?

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    David Casey, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Jeff Gillan

    S.Lewis Guest

    You're hyping the thread if anyone is. "Fear-mongering" is a really cheesy
    phrase used by people who listen to politicians too much. You're suggesting
    there is no risk. I'm suggesting that flash failures are rare, but when they
    occur, one is basically screwed.

    Since you need help with web searches, go here: (pick a thread)

    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/search?q=BIOS+flash+system+dead

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Jeff Gillan

    Brian Guest

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/536745.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/844497.stm
    (I clipped all the smaller news sources)

    The implications are left as an exercise. If you don't get it, an
    explanation won't help.
    I trimmed your search above. Too many key words produced too many low
    scoring hits.

    flash+dead hit 67,000 times.
    dropped+dead hit 46,500 times.
    coffee+dead hit 20,000 times.
    liquid+dead hit 20,000 times.
    lightning+dead hit 20,000 times.

    Don't:
    move your computer unless necessary (1)
    drink coffee near your computer (2)
    drink any liquids nearby for that matter
    have potted plants with water near the computer
    leave the computer plugged in during a lightning storm (3)

    All of these things have risks associated with them. Further, the risks
    are the same order of magnitude.

    I will guarantee you that every person here has needlessly risked one of
    the above. Flashing the bios is "spooky." Hence all the bad advice.

    Flash the bios when the manufacturer recommends it. It pretty much
    wraps up the thread.

    (1) Or... Remember the number of times you flashed the system? Never
    move the computer more than that number.
    (2) Unless absolutely necessary? Any caffeine addicts? :)
    (3) Properly grounded... as in earth ground... as in driving a rod
    into the lawn. Plus disconnecting the computer, the modem cable,
    and any other miscellaneous connections to the house to have
    complete coverage.

    Brian, Oct 5, 2004
  6. Jeff Gillan

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    The thread was wrapped up when you closed your mind, which was at the
    beginning of same.

    I admire your steadfast ignorance, and as such there's nothing I can add to
    such unabated arrogance.

    Regards,

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Oct 5, 2004
  7. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    The risk is miniscule. To suggest otherwise is FEAR-MONGERING.
    VERY rare when done carefully and a flash failure often does NOT result in a
    dead mobo.
    Nonsense. The expense of a dead mobo is only about $100 and usually less.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 5, 2004
  8. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    You've been completely outclassed. As usual for someone so humiliated you
    digress to personal attacks.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 5, 2004
  9. Jeff Gillan

    Brian Guest

    Did you work on the Therac system only to suffer long term psychiatric
    issues of killing people with a bad embedded chip? What's with the
    name calling?

    Please, list sources. You aren't qualified (sorry). No one else in
    this newsgroup is either without a degree in EE and 10 years of
    embedded system experience. The statement is coming from some goofy
    fourth/fifth/sixth (or even higher) rehash of some crap some dude
    said on some website. I know because I keep running across it and
    preached it myself.

    Obviously I don't have much faith in fourth/fifth/sixth party information.
    And I certainly don't have any respect for you any more. But I would
    settle for a direct Microsoft, Intel, or Dell link.

    From what I saw, Intel was luke warm to the BIOS upgrade. Intel recommends
    "inspecting" the BIOS before installing SP2.

    Dell absolutely recommends upgrading the BIOS.

    You morans know better than the chip manufacturers, system builders,
    and OS authors, right?

    Brian, Oct 5, 2004
  10. That is a low end motherboard.
    In any event, $100 is far to much to spend because an unnecessary
    update went bad.
    You have admitted there is a chance.
    However slight is not relevant.
    If the update is not needed, the risk is to high.
    Or will you personally guarantee the flash will be successful?
    If your answer is no, the risk seems to much even for you.
    If yes, post your contact information, and the word can get out that
    you will take care of it at your expense.

    Jupiter Jones, Oct 5, 2004
  11. Jeff Gillan

    David Casey Guest

    Yes, when it comes to *my* computer I know better what it needs than any of
    those folks.

    And yes, what is with the name calling?

    David Casey, Oct 5, 2004
  12. Jeff Gillan

    Brian Guest

    Apparently not just *your* computer. You're challenging an entire
    industry based on no credentials that I have seen.
    You seem to speak dumbass more fluent than reason. So I switched to
    your language. I think we connected!

    Brian, Oct 6, 2004
  13. Jeff Gillan

    David Casey Guest

    Not really, I merely made known my opinion that upgrading the BIOS simply
    because an update is there isn't a good idea. Why should I fix my computer
    if it's not broken? Even more why I should fix my computer if it's not
    broken *and* risk losing the use of it?

    Do you jump at every new driver or version of a program out there even if
    the old version works fine for you? Are you one of those people who then
    whine all over a forum somewhere, "Wahhhhh I upgraded to
    Make-Me-Look-Stupid v4.3 and now it won't make me look as stupid as v4.2!!
    Someone helpppppppppppp!"

    You and your buddy Ron seem to think someone else knows what is best for my
    desktop machines. Wrong. If I were merely another clueless computer user
    then perhaps I'd jump when commanded by the almighty Dell company and line
    up at the counter to upgrade my BIOS even if the system was working fine.

    But since I'm not, I'll leave my working desktop just that. Working.
    Granted the chance of a bad BIOS flash is small, I know I've flashed my
    share of BIOS's in the past, but why take that chance? It's not like a bad
    graphics card driver or bad printer driver that you can just uninstall and

    In the future if something comes along that causes a problem then I'll look
    into an upgraded BIOS as a possible solution. Not before. Why is this so
    hard to understand for you two?
    No, I was pointing out your hypocrisy which you showed yet again. ;-)

    David Casey, Oct 6, 2004
  14. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    WACKO! You are a confirmed fear-monger.
    You are a balf faced liar too.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 6, 2004
  15. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    You couldn't detect when it was broken.
    You risk of "losing the use of it" is HIGHER if you don't keep the BIOS
    current.
    YOU BET!
    Change your diapers.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 6, 2004
  16. Jeff Gillan

    Brian Guest

    You jumped into a thread and acted like a carbon copy of your palllll
    Lewis. Replace Lewis/David with discretion below.

    David, what you are is someone who presents yourself as an expert, but
    googles around behind the scenes, compiles data and presents it as first
    hand experience. You can't bullshit me. 95% of the people here do the
    same exact bloody thing.

    There's a place for this mediocre yet not in the loop support. But you
    should not make stupid blanket statements and defend them to the ground.
    (Lest you purposefully misread this, I'm saying you actually have a
    place in helping others, but not as an authority for goodness sake.)

    ASPCD has had ups and downs, but this is twice in recent months that
    I've been sucked into a flame war for ridiculous reasons. Too intense
    for me!

    To recap the entire thread:
    1) Should I flash my Dell's BIOS? Dell says yes.
    +2) No. Never flash the BIOS unless the computer isn't working.
    3) Well, sometimes, not working means dead. Why not upgrade the BIOS
    once in a while? ... if for nothing else than to avoid future problems?
    +4) No. No flashing. You'll fry your computer. Period.
    5) Well, that's not a clear risk. Using a very rough justice calculation,
    which is the best seen so far, the risk of frying the BIOS chip forever
    is less than the risk of the computer being dropped or struck by
    lightning. It's a low level risk.
    +6) Nuh uh! Since you're so closed minded, you obviously won't see the pt.
    7) Dell says to do it.
    +8) Dell doesn't know anything.
    9) How can you say that?
    +10) I know all about *my* computers.

    That's trimming the fat.

    But like I mentioned, this is ridiculous. There's a bunch of sensitive
    snobs in here. They're sensitive because they google, know they google,
    secretly desperately try to act like they don't google, watch the thread
    every five minutes to see if anyone high fives them for googling, and then
    cry rivers if someone cries bullshit about a topic they /really/ don't
    know much about.

    Ah woo woo woo.

    This is more of a nerdy introverted social club than a source for any
    real learning. No one took interest at all in the SP2 issue regarding
    XP + Prescott. It speaks volumes about the quality here.

    Brian, Oct 6, 2004
  17. Ron;
    Can you prove your statements?
    If not perhaps you should study the meaning of slander.

    You previously stated "All the true computer experts..."
    You can not support this statement because it is FALSE, you can not
    even define it or you would.

    "fear-monger"
    Those who are insecure in their position often feel it necessary to
    put labels on others who disagree with them.
    I never suggested the possibility is great, in fact I said otherwise.
    You also have not proven the necessity of upgrading when not
    necessary.
    People are usually smart enough to know there are risks.
    Why do you desire to deny them information?
    Why do you feel you know more about everyone's computer needs?
    If there is no risk, that is one thing, but there is a risk and you
    clearly will not back up your idea that there is no risk.

    Could you stick to facts and post something to prove your point?
    You have failed to answer any question that asks for you to prove the
    statements you make leading many to believe you are incapable of
    supporting your position without insulting those with a differing
    opinion.

    You are so unsure yourself that you feel the need to ignore most of
    what I ask...maybe because if you could answer, you would be proven
    wrong.
    How convenient for you to ignore what proves you wrong.

    you about.
    You ignored all of them.
    The only reasonable conclusion is you are unable to support your
    position.
    Even if your assertions are true, you have shown yourself incapable of
    supporting them other than parroting what you think you may know...but
    you have no source.
    Prove me wrong...you can not.

    Jupiter Jones, Oct 6, 2004
  18. Jeff Gillan

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    You've already been shown clueless in this thread. No further response is
    necessary.

    Ron Reaugh, Oct 6, 2004
  19. Really where?
    Where have you shown you can support your own statements?

    All you can do to support what you state is say something like "You've
    already been shown clueless in this thread"
    Another insult without facts from you...no surprise at all.

    Jupiter Jones, Oct 6, 2004
  20. Jeff Gillan

    Tom Scales Guest

    He still hasn't responded about how NOT flashing the BIOS can destroy a
    motherboard.

    I even repeated his quote for him. When challenged he just throws insults
    or ignores the quote.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 6, 2004